General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ls1 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default leak

So I put everything back together, Filled up the oil, and it leaks without the car running. Out the back near the oil filter. Has to be the pan gasket. I have heard some people jacking up the engine, putting 2x4's under the mounts and fishing the gasket around the crank. Any of you done this? I would think I need to be able to see the back of the block/pan/gasket to insure a decent seal. Really do not want to drop the cradle. The car is up on ramps now, exhaust dropped.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
I was going to do mine but.............. My Corvette mechanic did mine for me and he had to lower the K-member.
Please name one word that comes to mind when working on our cars.............................................. ..................

SUCK.
Yes ... the cowl prevents us from being able to jack it up any higher than about 5". It's not that bad.... lowering the K-Member. If I recall correctly, it gave me a good 10 inches of clearance to easily drop the oil pan and do motor mounts while I was at it.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnfin
So I put everything back together, Filled up the oil, and it leaks without the car running. Out the back near the oil filter. Has to be the pan gasket. I have heard some people jacking up the engine, putting 2x4's under the mounts and fishing the gasket around the crank. Any of you done this? I would think I need to be able to see the back of the block/pan/gasket to insure a decent seal. Really do not want to drop the cradle. The car is up on ramps now, exhaust dropped.
That doesn't sound good. You did replace the pan gasket, yes? What torque did you use?
Old 07-15-2018, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

have not replaced gasket yet. dont want to drop cradle and lift engine, hokie and would not get under a car in that situation. A guy on this site said he did it by lifting engine and fishing gasket through.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

It could be done; I think you can get a good 5" of clearance by lifting the engine only. It's the oil pump screen that you'll have to get around. One issue that you could run into is gasket fragments dropping into the pan when removing the old gasket. Also be very careful; don't trust the engine hoist only. Use jack stands, block of wood ...etc.....
Old 07-16-2018, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

It does seem like it might be an oil pan leak.

The gasket is riveted to the pan, making it pretty difficult to remove with the pan in place. A common leak point is where the oil pan gasket meets the rear or front covers. The factory service manual instructs you to apply a small bead of RTV to the corners of the gasket where the rear and front covers meet the oil pan gasket to prevent leaks. Make sure you do this well and hopefully that should resolve your leak. Obviously, use a new gasket. We sell an upgraded single-piece oil pan gasket that is less expensive than OEM.

In short, the oil pan does need to come out to do it correctly.

You should be able to get it out by:
  1. Unbolting the motor mounts
  2. Raise the engine a couple of inches with a hoist
  3. Unbolt the front k-member and lower it around 4-5 inches. You don't need to unbolt the suspension or anything.
  4. Slide the oil pan out from the rear
Here's a short post by someone who was able to pull the pan out using this method: http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=11933&st=0&p=128258&#entry1282 58

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 07-16-2018, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default pan removal

from what i have read, you need to remove struts, brake lines, slternator, starter, a/c, etc.
where can i get that gasket
Old 07-16-2018, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

link does not work
Old 07-17-2018, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

think you have to be a member of frrax to view anything on their site.....that SUCKS too

and nice to know ( NOW after i already put a GM one in ) that improved racing has a one piece oil pan gasket......highly recommended !!!!

Last edited by sjsingle1; 07-17-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like the steering column shaft connector could be a bear to get at. Any tricks to get that disconnected. Factory manual makes the oil pan gasket replacement look easy.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Here's the oil pan gasket: http://www.improvedracing.com/gasket...nes-p-660.html

Sorry about that, you have to be a FRRAX member. Here's a quote of what was said:

Along with all the other projects, I made some time to install the Improved Racing oil pan baffle. As a quick background, I have been over filling the pan with about a quart and a half oil to keep it from sucking on air.
I recived the baffle a few weeks ago. First impressions: nice brushed aluminium, clean, precise welds. I had an old LS1 pan sitting around. Test fit: perfect. Lines up nicely, bolt holes all line up on center.
I opted to install it with out pulling the motor. Went fairly quick and easy. I got the car on jackstands. Attached a cherry picker to the front of the engine. moved the aternator out of the way. Removed the long motor mount bolts. Lifted the engine about 2 inches. Disconnected the intermediate steering shaft. I have an alternate brake line routing, so I did not have to loosen the ABS module. Disconnected the oil level sensor. Slowly removed the 6 bolts holding the k-member to the body. The K-member dropped about 4-5 inches down. Keep in mind I still have the swaybar, ect attached.
Next I pulled the oil pan bolts and took the pan out. I pulled the OEM baffle from the pan, dropped the Improved Racing Baffle in, and instaled on the car. The rest is the reverse of the dissasembely.
Total time invested just over 3 hours. I didn't even remove the wheels. Tools needed are the ussual suspects: #10,#13,#15,#18 socket wrench, jack, jack stand, cherry picker/hoist.
So that was my Thursday night.
Friday I headed to the track. Willow Springs. For those that are not familiar with Willow, there is a 450' radius 200 degree turn. Long sweeper that just takes forever to get thru, and is a good test for any baffle.
I filled the pan to the top of the full line. About 1.5 quarts below where I ussually fill it. Sat my brother-in-law next to me with the sole responsibility of monitoring the oil pressure. Took the car out to multipe 20 min sessions. The baffle passed the test. The oil pressure held steady the whole weekend. Not even flinching in the turns.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Looks like the steering column shaft connector could be a bear to get at. Any tricks to get that disconnected. Factory manual makes the oil pan gasket replacement look easy.
I would unbolt the brackets securing the steering rack to the subframe, and just leave everything connected. Then just lower the subframe.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default lifting

iam thinking of using the 2 forward bolts in the head for lifting the engine up. anyone know the size of those bolts?
Old 07-21-2018, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now I know why not very many people have done this job: Its a bear. Was going good until time for the motor mounts. The manual says remove the 4 bolts on each side. Good luck getting at those. And the upper bolts.....they wont come out unless you remove the a/c and alternator. uggg.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now I know why not very many people have done this job: Its a bear. Was going good until time for the motor mounts. The manual says remove the 4 bolts on each side. Good luck getting at those. And the upper bolts.....they wont come out unless you remove the a/c and alternator. uggg.
I think you're overthinking it. It's not too bad of a job. Just take it slow and be safe. And don't cut corners. If you pull the oil pan properly, you will get it back together without worrying about leaks. When I did my oil pump, I pulled the pan because any other way is cutting corners (to me). Also while you are there, change your oil pump, timing chain, and gears. That is also the best time to do motor mounts while you are there. An engine hoist, a floor jack or tow and some jack stands ... and you're in business. If you get stumped on anything, someone here will surely help out.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default oil pan

Used the 10 ton jacks (only way to go, 5" flat saddle, dont use curved top Chinese junk) . Interesting that the front frame rails are near the CG. When put on jacks, rear end came up and car is level but still on rear ramps. Now its safe to remove the oil pan.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default cradle

what are the tabs that stick thru the frame above the cradle. looks like they lock the cradle in.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

You talking about the captured bolts for the k member?
Old 08-07-2018, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default bolts

bolts come up from bottom. how are they captured.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

I meant nuts, my bad.

Quick Reply: ls1 oil leak