General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Half of my Header bolt holes are stripped!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
Maybe not, but it is the best solution. Once the heads are off the header bolt threads can be assessed properly and repaired as needed. Suggesting to someone whos struggling with cross threaded bolts that there is an awkward in car fix sounds more like a recipe for more trouble, even garbage heads possibly. I'm trying to save the guy difficulty and get him sorted out properly. Running a tap through blind sounds a mess and not anything I would do.

Maybe a thread chaser, but not a tap but OP if you try a thread chaser be sure to get a good quality one ARP etc. Chasing threads especially when crossed is a tad tricky
Again....the guy already said multiple times HE DIDNT cross thread. Someone else did. If he was installing the heads he obviously has some capability.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:40 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

And? I offered my solutions and some good, albeit direct words of wisdom and he can use the advice or leave it thats entirely up to him. If you have better or different suggestions perhaps you would serve the OP best by focusing on that line of thought
Old 09-05-2018, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
<br /><br />Might want to figure out what else has been wrenched on then. I know you want an easy answer to a bugger of a problem but there really isnt one. Heads come off easy, and fast, gaskets if MLS can be reused and some say bolts too. I replace both for low cost and fast Summit ship. All I can say is if it were my car? I'd peel the heads both off, check valves and seats, replace seals and springs and go from there but thats how I do things. I was young and impatient once too and spent at least one full night out in the middle of the bush freezing my nads off trying to get my sled back together after I tried the quick repair route. Sooner or later we all learn quick cheap repairs usually aint good and good repairs usually aint quick, or cheap.<br />
new springs, seals, rockers, pushrods etc. Do you know how deep the thread goes?
Old 09-05-2018, 02:46 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dylan Latshaw
new springs, seals, rockers, pushrods etc. Do you know how deep the thread goes?

Its about 3/4 - 1" deep and theres not a ton of meat on either side of those holes. I like the LS9 springs they make a great stock replacement if its a stock cam. Theres all sorts of things to look at if you do open it up push the back of the rocker arms down on the pushrods to see if the lifters are holding lash or collapsed. You can replace individual or all pending funds. If the gaskets are steel they can be resused I have done this successfully but summit sells new Mahle LS6 for very reasonable coin so why not new if you can swing it? Bolts ehhhh I use new but some say the shorties can be reused but they are a little pricey.

What are you doing to this car anyways just installing headers? What other mods have been done or planned? Can help guide you somewhat better if we know more
Old 09-05-2018, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Why is everyone being a dick to OP? He said he wasn't the one who caused the problem and was simply asking about a potential solution. Geez......OP if you have some that are cross threaded have you tried tapping them with the right size tap to see if it'll fix it?
thank You! Come here for help and feel like I'm being bashed... I have not tried to retap though. I'm sure I can get those to take the bolt again. It's more of the ones that spin I'm worried about .
Old 09-05-2018, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cam
And? I offered my solutions and some good, albeit direct words of wisdom and he can use the advice or leave it thats entirely up to him. If you have better or different suggestions perhaps you would serve the OP best by focusing on that line of thought
Your premise, quoted below sounds entirely like you think the guys an idiot with no clue what he's doing simply because he asked a question. You dont even know if the guy has tried anything. I asked a question to the OP related to chasing the threads, which he never answered so actually I have offered a suggestion. Thanks though.
"Suggesting to someone whos struggling with cross threaded bolts that there is an awkward in car fix sounds more like a recipe for more trouble, even garbage heads possibly. "
Old 09-05-2018, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cam
Its about 3/4 - 1" deep and theres not a ton of meat on either side of those holes. I like the LS9 springs they make a great stock replacement if its a stock cam. Theres all sorts of things to look at if you do open it up push the back of the rocker arms down on the pushrods to see if the lifters are holding lash or collapsed. You can replace individual or all pending funds. If the gaskets are steel they can be resused I have done this successfully but summit sells new Mahle LS6 for very reasonable coin so why not new if you can swing it? Bolts ehhhh I use new but some say the shorties can be reused but they are a little pricey.

What are you doing to this car anyways just installing headers? What other mods have been done or planned? Can help guide you somewhat better if we know more
actually i just rebuild the top end. New big cam. Ported 243 heads. Duel springs. Hardend pushrods. LT headers. All new gaskets and bolts.... Etc. Started her up and had what I think is a bad exhaust leak. Checked the headers and noticed half the bolts were holding them down.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dylan Latshaw
thank You! Come here for help and feel like I'm being bashed... I have not tried to retap though. I'm sure I can get those to take the bolt again. It's more of the ones that spin I'm worried about .
If I followed you have 2 cross threaded, try to fix those with the tap/chase. That leaves you with 1 left to deal with. I'd consider tapping that the next size up if you really dont want to pull the heads. Yes the other suggestion mentioned about the timesert is the "proper" way, but sometimes there is quick and dirty and for a header bolt I wouldn't go crazy trying to make it like OEM.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

[/QUOTE]
a timesert is the last thing I want to do. And if you would have read the description you would have seen that I said I didn't want to remove the heads....

Last edited by wssix99; 09-06-2018 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Removed original, inappropriate quote.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

If I followed you have 2 cross threaded, try to fix those with the tap/chase. That leaves you with 1 left to deal with. I'd consider tapping that the next size up if you really dont want to pull the heads. Yes the other suggestion mentioned about the timesert is the "proper" way, but sometimes there is quick and dirty and for a header bolt I wouldn't go crazy trying to make it like OEM.
yeah I just want it to work. If 3 bolts are a little bigger it won't bother me.. . Actually 3 bolt holes are stripped.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

I was told to get studs. Because there are threads deeper In the hole that aren't used?
Old 09-05-2018, 03:52 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I see. Pricey heads to gamble on being ported and all but you wanna leave em in your best bet is to get a thread chaser. There are a few styles, ones that look like a tap and ones that look like a notched bolt. The threaded tap type are slightly undersize as not to cut new threads, rather reshape the ones you have. ARP makes these and they are pricey but are good quality. The ones I have are quite long though so that might leave the notched bolt type which craftsman makes a nice set also available at Summit and they are short. I would chase the threads best you can first and then test by finger and see how it goes. You can add studs this will certainly get you in as deep as threads go. The good thing is these bolts are not under a lot of tension so I hope you didnt strip them by over tightening? Torque spec is two stages; first stage 11'lb second stage 15'lb

I torque everything. One of the best bits of advice I ever received
Old 09-05-2018, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

I think I'll clean up the bad threads as best I can the try to put In a stud to catch the bottom 1/4in of thread. And hopefully I can tighten it to spec. If that doesn't work I'll take the heads off and do it that way.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:26 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

If your really going to push it and try and bang it together you can make a chaser out of a bolt by grinding three sides of the threads flat so you have a three sided threaded chase. It works well for clean gunk, but not ideal for chasing burred threads or in this case crossed threads. It will still be better than trying to jam a bolt or stud in there if the threads are crossed and you dig deeper your only going to make it worse and more difficult to repair. Good luck whatever you choose
Old 09-05-2018, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cam
If your really going to push it and try and bang it together you can make a chaser out of a bolt by grinding three sides of the threads flat so you have a three sided threaded chase. It works well for clean gunk, but not ideal for chasing burred threads or in this case crossed threads. It will still be better than trying to jam a bolt or stud in there if the threads are crossed and you dig deeper your only going to make it worse and more difficult to repair. Good luck whatever you choose
not going to push it. If the stud will catch the threads towards the bottom and hold it tight that what I want. If it won't work then I'll be taking the heads off and doing it your way
Old 09-05-2018, 04:46 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Hmm showing age I guess. Push it is short for pushing the envelope which is common speak around here ( maybe nowhere anymore? ) for test pilots who pushed past safety to test aircraft. So when I say push it, that means pushing your luck basically. Regarding that, once the threads are crossed its almost impossible to get another longer bolt to go past the crossed threads onto untouched threads deeper in the hole without crossing them too. The bolt will follow the crossed threads in so when I say push it in this regards I am concered you will make it worse, and at least you could try a quick chase with a home mader to improve your odds. Aluminum threads are not very forgiving...
Old 09-05-2018, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cam
Hmm showing age I guess. Push it is short for pushing the envelope which is common speak around here ( maybe nowhere anymore? ) for test pilots who pushed past safety to test aircraft. So when I say push it, that means pushing your luck basically. Regarding that, once the threads are crossed its almost impossible to get another longer bolt to go past the crossed threads onto untouched threads deeper in the hole without crossing them too. The bolt will follow the crossed threads in so when I say push it in this regards I am concered you will make it worse, and at least you could try a quick chase with a home mader to improve your odds. Aluminum threads are not very forgiving...
yeah with the ones that are crossed I'm going to chase the original threads back.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't want to get involved with all this other childish drama, but I think if you can drill and tap for bigger bolt holes you can put in a
Helicoil. Pretty simple, and you can stack 2 in there if you have enough room, be just as good as anything.
I have done several that way, and never pulled the heads. Good Luck.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slogo
I don't want to get involved with all this other childish drama, but I think if you can drill and tap for bigger bolt holes you can put in a
Helicoil. Pretty simple, and you can stack 2 in there if you have enough room, be just as good as anything.
I have done several that way, and never pulled the heads. Good Luck.
Unfortunately there's only maybe 3-6 inches of space to get in there. Definitely not enough room for a drill
Old 09-06-2018, 05:44 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

This thread got me thinking a bit. There was a time when I would cringe at the thought of opening up an engine, it just felt like impending doom. Nowadays I whisk heads off, quick freshen, new lifters, reinstall and back to running in 4 hours or so unless I break exhaust bolts off which is happening more and more due to age of these things so that adds a couple of hours to the repair but I suppose I can see it from your perspective when I look back that now that the heads are on, you dont want to take them off. From my perspective now? It lines up more with my first couple posts in this thread. I accept these things and deal with them best I can.

Sort of like traffic, I used to get angry in traffic, now I simply accept that theres nothing I can do about it other than stay calm and not let it ruin my day. Anyways good luck with the repair, hope you get lucky