General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Half of my Header bolt holes are stripped!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half of my Header bolt holes are stripped!! HELP!

When installing my headers onto my new to me heads on my ls1 3 of the bolts spin, 2 are cross threaded and 1 won't even catch thread. How do I fix this?? I don't want to take out the heads I just finished putting on... Can I either tap (without drilling) a bigger sized bolt? If so what is the next size up from a 8MM x 1.25 bolt? Or I've heard if you bend strands of copper wire in the hole it'll help catch the threads. I really don't want to take the heads back off. Please help.

Last edited by Dylan Latshaw; 09-05-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:09 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Timesert
Old 09-05-2018, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fuhnortoner
Timesert
I mentioned twice I really don't want to remove the heads to fix it
Old 09-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Why do you have to remove your heads? Do you know what a timesert is?
Old 09-05-2018, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Timesert
If he couldn’t put bolts in straight, just what do you think are the odds he can do a timesert repair?
Old 09-05-2018, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Why do you have to remove your heads? Do you know what a timesert is?
there is no room to drill out the holes. Im not very familiar with them.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 8.Lug

If he couldn’t put bolts in straight, just what do you think are the odds he can do a timesert repair?
had a buddy do the headers while I bolt down the heads
Old 09-05-2018, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Can't I just get a few bolts in a slightly bigger size. And tap the holes to fit though bolts?
Old 09-05-2018, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dylan Latshaw
Can't I just get a few bolts in a slightly bigger size. And tap the holes to fit though bolts?
No. Thats ******* stupid, and so is putting strands of copper wire in the stripped out holes. Fix it right, nobody on this forum is going to tell you to do it half ***.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

How is fixing it the right way by tapping slightly bigger holes and using the right size bolt stupid? Im cunfused....
Old 09-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Launching!

How is fixing it the right way by tapping slightly bigger holes and using the right size bolt stupid? Im cunfused....
First of all you made it sound like you wanted to just jam larger bolts into it. Second of all, if youre going to tap it you may as well do it right and use a timesert.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

First of all you made it sound like you wanted to just jam larger bolts into it. Second of all, if youre going to tap it you may as well do it right and use a timesert.
I would rather spend 5 bucks on a few m10x1.50 bolts then 70 on a timesert kit. I just want to know if it's be ok to drill out the holes and tap with that size tap? New threads and a new bolt will work, no?
Old 09-05-2018, 11:11 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

If your so impatient that your cross threading header bolts in my guess is the least of your worries is the header bolt holes. Take your time, do it right, do it once. The pain of poor quality lingers far longer than the time or money it costs to produce good work
Old 09-05-2018, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Just JB Weld the header on. Problem solved. Why spend 5 bucks on a M10 tap when you can spend 4 bucks on JB Weld?
Old 09-05-2018, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cam
If your so impatient that your cross threading header bolts in my guess is the least of your worries is the header bolt holes. Take your time, do it right, do it once. The pain of poor quality lingers far longer than the time or money it costs to produce good work
I wasn't the one to put the headers back on. I mentioned that before. All I want to know is if it's ok to tap a m10 tap in
Old 09-05-2018, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cam
If your so impatient that your cross threading header bolts inv my guess is the least of your worries is the header bolt holes. Take your time, do it right, do it once. The pain of poor quality lingers far longer than the time or money it costs to produce good work
plus to my knowledge they were already cross threaded
Old 09-05-2018, 01:19 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

plus to my knowledge they were already cross threaded
<br /><br />Might want to figure out what else has been wrenched on then. I know you want an easy answer to a bugger of a problem but there really isnt one. Heads come off easy, and fast, gaskets if MLS can be reused and some say bolts too. I replace both for low cost and fast Summit ship. All I can say is if it were my car? I'd peel the heads both off, check valves and seats, replace seals and springs and go from there but thats how I do things. I was young and impatient once too and spent at least one full night out in the middle of the bush freezing my nads off trying to get my sled back together after I tried the quick repair route. Sooner or later we all learn quick cheap repairs usually aint good and good repairs usually aint quick, or cheap.<br />
Old 09-05-2018, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Why is everyone being a dick to OP? He said he wasn't the one who caused the problem and was simply asking about a potential solution. Geez......OP if you have some that are cross threaded have you tried tapping them with the right size tap to see if it'll fix it?
Old 09-05-2018, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Because when someone gives you the logical and correct answer to your problem, you dont respond like a ********.

There's more than 1 way to skin a cat. Pulling the heads and putting in a timesert isn't the ONLY solution.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:15 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
There's more than 1 way to skin a cat. Pulling the heads and putting in a timesert isn't the ONLY solution.
Maybe not, but it is the best solution. Once the heads are off the header bolt threads can be assessed properly and repaired as needed. Suggesting to someone whos struggling with cross threaded bolts that there is an awkward in car fix sounds more like a recipe for more trouble, even garbage heads possibly. I'm trying to save the guy difficulty and get him sorted out properly. Running a tap through blind sounds a mess and not anything I would do.

Maybe a thread chaser, but not a tap but OP if you try a thread chaser be sure to get a good quality one ARP etc. Chasing threads especially when crossed is a tad tricky