General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

01 Formula Firehawk purchase.. a little maint.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Default 01 Formula Firehawk purchase.. a little maint.

Picked up my Hawk yesterday.. It has not been driven regularly in some time. will be changing trans fluid, rear end fluid, oil, filter, fuel filter, belts, also noticed valve cover gaskets leaking. Oil pressure sensor leaking ( but works), will also change out knock sensors. Car has 112K miles.. Hey, its a start.... Brake fluid, lines, rotors, pads to come. Drain, flush coolant as well. Just some little things for piece of mind. Can you guys think of anything else? Oh yeah, plugs are original, i'll be doing plugs, wires this winter.. A nice clay bar to the paint, polish, wax at some point as well... she needs some love for sure. But that is the fun of it with these cars.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Be sure to pull the brake caliper pins and lube them with the proper synthetic grease. I always replace the rubber boots on them too.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 995 Posts

Intake Manifold Gaskets at some point.

The original intake manifold gaskets didn't look too good on my 99 TA after 17-18 years on the car. Even so often a 4th Gen hydro-locks after being out in heavy rain because the intake manifold gaskets leak. I was always a bit skeptical until I saw the old gaskets and how much gunk had built up under the intake from water getting in the engine compartment thanks to our engine only being half under the hood.

On my 02 Z28 I plan to replace the intake manifold gaskets in the spring.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 152 Likes on 137 Posts

Clean the maf and check the date on the tires. Congrats on the new Hawk!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you do the knock sensors, make sure you get the harness too. Dont want to be doing that job twice like I am about to have to do.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys... Good advise to all of the above. Always change the harness w the knock sensors... Its cheap insurance. MAF will be cleaned as I will be removing, porting TB and adding an SLP CAI. Intake gaskets will be replaced when removed for KS... Replacing caliper boots, lubing the pins is also great advise. I enjoy the maint stuff... Gives me something to do and I have the satisfaction of knowing that I did it myself. The paint on this car has had no love.... I do a write up down the road with detailed explanations. Gonna be a fun project. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 995 Posts

That's a sweet looking FireHawk. Looking forward to hearing more about the car.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=01Z0H6;19988504]Thanks guys... Good advise to all of the above. Always change the harness w the knock sensors... Its cheap insurance. MAF will be cleaned as I will be removing, porting TB and adding an SLP CAI. Intake gaskets will be replaced when removed for KS... Replacing caliper boots, lubing the pins is also great advise. I enjoy the maint stuff... Gives me something to do and I have the satisfaction of knowing that I did it myself. The paint on this car has had no love.... I do a write up down the road with detailed explanations. Gonna be a fun project. Thanks for the feedback guys.
/QUOTE]
Sounds like you got it all covered. One other thing I like to do with used cars that require 93 octane is a good fuel system cleaner. I know generally they aren't needed, but when I get something that I can tell has not been taken care of, I would be willing to bet they didn't always use 93. Redline SI-1 is what I used last time. The car in question ran noticeably better after, but I did clean the MAF and TB and all the other maintenance items at the same time. Good looking Firehawk you got there!
Old 10-21-2018, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Justin... Yea, first thing I did when I picked up the car is fill it with 93 octane and add a bottle of Techron. I'll be removing TB, cleaning thoroughly and porting. I'll also clean the MAF.. I drove the car about 60 miles since purchase. Finally had some sunshine here in TX.... She's really nice... 80mph in 6th gear @ 1800 rpm...

Old 10-31-2018, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

That's a beautiful car. Take care of it ... and it will take care of you. People's minds are blown when I tell them that I have 335,000 miles on my TA.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Man that thing is clean OP makes me miss my Formula.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I want to tell you of a problem that's quite common but not talked about. The windshield cowling is not sealed in any way, when it rains the engine intake manifold gets water poured all over it. The second part of the problem is the intake bolts semi seize in the threads so they feel tight if you check them BUT in fact the intake is loose. You won't get a check engine light or even notice any real problem because as the engine gets hot manifold vacuum sucks the intake tight and for the most part its sealed. The trouble starts when the engine sits cold overnight and the intake loosens up enough to let rain water dripping from the cowling into the loose intake. Next time the engine starts its either breaks the starter off OR tosses a rod out the side of the block.

1st seal the cowling and test it with a water hose and in the rain. 2nd back all the intake bolts out at least a full turn then tighten to 89 INCH LBS again 89 inch lbs not ft lbs. This will stop the chance of this happening, If you do a search on this site you will find thread after thread about it.