General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Massive power steering fluid leak.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
Im interested. What hoses are those?
Judging by your picture, it looks like an up top leak. I would still spray everything off and put the dye in the line and run it for 5 minutes then blue light it and see if the pressure line has a hair line crack it. The pressure line can spew out and and spray anywhere and everywhere. It just depends on where that fissure is located. I would also check the fluted end of connecting line of the pressure line to the pump...if that's in good shape, then check/replace the O-ring inside the seating nut to see if that went south on you. Originally tho, I was thinking it was down low - I apologize for my ineptness to look at you picture...... However, let me bore you with a potential bottom leak if that's where it's coming from.You should (if it's like my '00 TA) have 2 aluminum hard lines on the right hand (in this case the drivers side when looking at it from under) of the rack-n-pinion. One is the return line (no pressure and turns has a flexible line as it comes out of the reservoir) and the other is the supply line (under pressure and I believe an all solid line). The connecting ends of the pressure line have a trumpet end (as does the rack end of the return line) with an in-place nut that takes an O-ring around the thread to seat the head and keep fluid from spraying. It could be leaking at 1 or both connections and dripping into the skid plate and leaking somewhere thru that. It can be caused by a few things but the 2 main evils are 1) bad O-rings (the lesser evil) in the nut .....OR - 2) the bigger evil, road debris could have gotten thrown up in there and hit one or both of the aluminum hard lines and split the end of the hose or rack receptacle. If it split the line, it can be replaced (hard to find tho - GM on-line may have them still)......or if it split the rack receptacle end, then you'll need to get a new rack-n-pinion if you don't want the leak....and that WILL test your patience. I would, though, do the dye thing first.