General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99 Formula door controls and head light woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 99 Formula door controls and head light woes

I have been having issues as of late. My window switch on the driver side will not roll the passenger side window up or down as well as my lock switch will not work on the drivers side. ON my passenger side door the window switch has to be pressed extremely hard and at least 3 times fast before it will work. Any ideas?

Also every now and then my head lights will not pop up. If i hit a bump or give it a good bit of throttle to make the car lurch they will come up. I have not been able to figure it out.

The other thing is the passenger side running light does not come on when I have the head lights on. My red trans am does this as well. Thoughts?
Old 03-12-2019, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Power for the passenger window flows through the driver's switch so that's the first thing I would suspect. If you have a multimeter or test light you can test the driver's switch. Check that you have power and ground on the light blue and tan wires when you operate the switch (depending on which way you move the switch, one will be power and the other ground and they will reverse when you move the switch the other way).

Your headlight problem sounds like a mechanical problem with the motor or linkage binding.

The running light sounds like a bulb. The bulbs in the front are 3157 dual filament - a bright filament for DRL and turn signals, a dim filament for running lights. It's quite common for one filament to burn out while the other still works.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:04 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Big bird55
I have been having issues as of late. My window switch on the driver side will not roll the passenger side window up or down as well as my lock switch will not work on the drivers side. ON my passenger side door the window switch has to be pressed extremely hard and at least 3 times fast before it will work. Any ideas?
You may have a bunch of bad switches. If your driver's side window switch works, then you just need to replace the switch unit. (If the driver's switch works, then that tells you all the common parts are working.) As you take the switches out, be careful as the bezels get brittle as they get older. This may also be the cause of your passenger side issues. If the button is loose in the bezel, it won't make solid contact when you press it.

Also every now and then my head lights will not pop up. If i hit a bump or give it a good bit of throttle to make the car lurch they will come up. I have not been able to figure it out.
See posts starting at #1838, https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...o-here-46.html This happens when the solder joints on the headlight control board get cracked. The bumps jar the board, which causes things to make intermittent contact. Getting a "new" used board won't help, either. Often, they just have the same problem. One pass with a solder iron fixes the problem for good.

The other thing is the passenger side running light does not come on when I have the head lights on. My red trans am does this as well.
These things go out. I assume you've changed the bulb? Have you checked the socket? If so, then please post the problem in the Stereo and Electronics forum and you'll get some good assistance there from experienced members in odd electrical.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. Bulbs replqced and on the red csr a new socket. I swapped all the working switvhes from the red car to the white and nothing. All work in red car.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks guys. Bulbs replqced and on the red csr a new socket. I swapped all the working switvhes from the red car to the white and nothing. All work in red car.
Time to start tracing electrical, then. If you don't have the schematics for the car, you can register at AutoZone and they have all the official diagrams in their repair section online.