General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Assistance removing engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance removing engine

I'm in the process of removing the ls1 from the bottom and I've seen a few guides that say make sure you disconnect all the ground wires before removing so they don't break. But I was only able to find one guide that specifically states removing the 10mm ground below the fuse box on the driver's side. I can't find the specific locations for the other ground straps. Does anyone that's removed the engine from the bottom know where each ground strap is that needs to be disconnected? I don't want to accidentally miss one and snap it off while lifting the body.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2019, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thankfully ground straps aren't that expensive and if you haven't already it would probably be a good idea to get a big 3 upgrade kit for your power wires and grounds. I have 2 on mine that I've seen that are visible but I don't know if they're factory or aftermarket. One goes to the fuse box area on the drivers side. Then another behind the A/C condenser on the passenger side.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

LS1 grounds: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...-all-them.html
Old 04-18-2019, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Thankfully ground straps aren't that expensive and if you haven't already it would probably be a good idea to get a big 3 upgrade kit for your power wires and grounds. I have 2 on mine that I've seen that are visible but I don't know if they're factory or aftermarket. One goes to the fuse box area on the drivers side. Then another behind the A/C condenser on the passenger side.
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
got it, thanks!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by KnoxCounty865
I'm in the process of removing the ls1 from the bottom and I've seen a few guides that say make sure you disconnect all the ground wires before removing so they don't break. But I was only able to find one guide that specifically states removing the 10mm ground below the fuse box on the driver's side. I can't find the specific locations for the other ground straps. Does anyone that's removed the engine from the bottom know where each ground strap is that needs to be disconnected? I don't want to accidentally miss one and snap it off while lifting the body.

Thanks
You will need to disconnect the ground strap for the battery lead on the passenger side of the block next to the starter and the ground strap next to the fuse box along with the alternator wire.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

There's quite a bit of stuff that needs to be disconnected before dropping it out of the car but it's really not that difficult to do.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone. Got everything disconnected but I've noticed on the engine going in, it looks like the hose section of the transmission cooler line was cut. What's the easiest way to re-connect the line. Can I just cut the hose that's still in the car and use clamps to re-install ?

picture of cut line

lines still in car