General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anyone else had multiple torque arm failures? (No drag racing/ track abuse)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone else had multiple torque arm failures? (No drag racing/ track abuse)

Out of 3 f-bodies, I've managed to break or have issues with two torque arms. My first, a 95 trans am I would slide it quite a bit. It had 315 Nitto 555s and I managed to come close to sheering off the mounting point at the axle:

The third, my redneck 94 Z28 had something happen to me last week. Its the second time in my life within the 8 cars I've owned that something very important came loose, falling off and whacking the underbody of the car while on the freeway. Check this out:

I heard a small metallic bang driving down the freeway (Just cruising) with something bouncing up into the floorboard. When I finally stopped to get gas, it felt like the rear end of my car was disconnected from the rest. Every time I'd hit the brakes it would feel like the axle was lagging behind if that makes any sense. Its gotten much worse since I limped it back home, with it banging around on every road imperfection and hitting the trans tunnel. At first I assumed I busted another trans mount, but would you look at that.. The clamshell came apart, can't believe it made it 100 miles back home without the rear end coming apart

So my problem now is, I'm missing the bolt and bushing for the stocker. I wouldn't mind upgrading to an aftermarket unit but where can I get that damn bolt? The clamshell assemblies are about $80 on ebay which is insane, its a long shot but does anyone have a parted out car they can spare or know the bolt size/ where I can get one that will be as strong as OEM? Thank you.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 864 Likes on 660 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Check the facebook fbody pages. Plenty of cars being parted out.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Home depot had the size bolt I needed, I ordered a Founders Performance torque arm and everything is all good now

For reference the bolt size is: M10x1.5x30

Last edited by nitroheadz28; 05-28-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Are you torquing these fasteners and using red loctite?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Are you torquing these fasteners and using red loctite?
Yep, everything is cranked down with red loc-tite. That would've have meant smooth sailing but less than 2 weeks after this repair was done my throw out bearing fell apart so everything is getting torn apart to pull the clutch. Woohoo
Old 07-18-2019, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3 fbody's and never broken a single one. I have a BMR adjustable in the car now just because i got a killer deal on it