General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery gauge dives & recovers at idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Battery gauge dives & recovers at idle

I got the car back from the engine rebuild a few weeks ago. Car went into the shop with a Braille 3121, left with my full size ACDelco 75PG battery that had been sitting in storage for months, shop re-charged it before install. Shop was nervous about using the smaller battery with the larger, higher compression motor. Post-delivery, damaged a rear o2 sensor harness that wasn't tied back up, later had a engine sensor fuse continuously popping. They said they cleaned off all the grounds. The last issue at this time is that a few days after the fuse started popping, my voltage gauge began misbehaving. When I have the A/C on, and slow down to stop, the needle slowly falls, pauses and then creeps back up to the 12V position, and it'll randomly repeat this behavior. With the A/C off, I notice it less frequently, but it's too damn hot without A/C. I don't recall seeing the battery gauge have this new behavior with this alternator (it's an AlternatorMan 140A CS130D), until after the fuse started popping. The shop thinks the alternator isn't putting out enough volts near idle, but is that something that would change from when I dropped the car off for the rebuild to today? Is it likely just coincidence that this charging concerned happened shortly after getting the car back?