General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2002 trans am ac compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 trans am ac compressor?

Hi everyone
My ac decided to give up so I went to a garage who filled it up with the green stuff in order to locate the leak. Of course they didn't find anything but they told me usually the compressor gives up on this model. It is obviously pretty common.
So my question is where can I find a compressor for my ac ? OEM ac Delco or similar ?
Thanks all
Old 06-15-2019, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Probably want to get a kit and replace as a unit. Shop did my 99 TA's was like $900 total. $450 labor and $450 for the compressor, dryer etc

NAPA - where I got my kit
Advance Auto
AutoZone
O'Reilly
RockAuto
Etc

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 06-15-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Rockauto tends to have the best prices plus the 5‰ discount code in the sponsor section helps. When you change the compressor you also have to change the dryer and the expansion valve and do a complete flush to keep the warranty so it's best to get a "kit" with all the parts together.

I'm literally in the middle of changing a compressor on our truck and it's just a junkyard compressor and cheap walmart freon to get it running again cheap.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies
Old 06-19-2019, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

I went for the Delphi brand which seems to be the OEM replacement.
Should get it very soon and then I will bring the car to the garage to install all this and finally enjoy the cold air
Old 06-21-2019, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Sebvegas, any updates on replacing the AC compressor etc?
Old 06-21-2019, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Still waiting for the compressor. Should arrive Monday or Tuesday.
but for sure already, I paid way less for it than in a garage and I believe for better quality
Old 06-24-2019, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sebvegas
Hi everyone
My ac decided to give up so I went to a garage who filled it up with the green stuff in order to locate the leak. Of course they didn't find anything but they told me usually the compressor gives up on this model. It is obviously pretty common.
So my question is where can I find a compressor for my ac ? OEM ac Delco or similar ?
Thanks all
Compressors don’t just go bad, either leaked r134a or the oil or both. That’ll cause the compressor to take a ****. Refilling it with the wrong amount of refrigerant or oil or both can do this also. In short, he’s not the brightest.

make sure when replacing the compressor, replace every seal and you filter drier/accumulator. Put it into a vacuum for 20-30 minutes to get all the moisture out of the system.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice
I should get the compressor tomorrow and will probably install it Wednesday. I'll bring the car to a garage to make sure everything is done the right way
Old 07-03-2019, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

So everything was installed at the garage and as soon as they finished they called me to tell me “the high pressure line is leaking...”
thanks meineke for wasting my time and money... well at least they won’t charge me to recharge next time once I find the line.

now question: any website where I can find the line ?

Edit : found the line online for $47 shipped. Should be here soon so I can finally enjoy some cold air in those hot summer days lol

Last edited by sebvegas; 07-03-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sebvegas
So everything was installed at the garage and as soon as they finished they called me to tell me “the high pressure line is leaking...”
thanks meineke for wasting my time and money... well at least they won’t charge me to recharge next time once I find the line.
Same thing happened to me. Though after replacing the leaking compressor (casing seal) they went after the hp cutout switch which wasn't leaking. The actual hp leak was on the nearby hp tubing itself which had someone been shaved down by friction with another metal part. Didn't even see how that could happen. But, it did. 6 yrs now on my new Dephi compressor, LP and HP lines, and no issues since. All those parts ran me around $500. The shop didn't charge me for any labor after they mis-diagnosed the hp side leak.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:53 AM
Teching In

I think it's better to see before where is the leak.
If it is the ac compressor I've buy new from Rockauto Denso, then the dryer, the orifiice tube and the o ring kit complete.
The ac delco is only reman and for me is better Denso or delphi but NEW.

See the inch of clutch if is the same of oem.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

At least, we have a brand new system (almost complete lol)
In my case, I kept the original parts since the compressor was still working fine.
It's good to have some cold air again lol