General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Loud Noise Coming From The Rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Noise Coming From The Rear

There is a loud noise coming from the rear area of the car. When you go over an uneven surface on the road it sounds like a loud metal on metal clanking sound.

When the car is parked and you press down on the rear hatch area there is no noise.

When the car is parked and I bump/push the passenger rear quarter panel to the driver side the loud metal on metal clanking noise is replicated.

When the car is parked and I bump/push the driver side rear quarter panel to the passenger side there is no noise at all.

Has anyone had this issue? It seems to me it’s something with the rear axle but not 100%.

Any input would be appreciated.

I have attached a video for reference.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.MOV (16.42 MB, 8 views)
Old 10-30-2022, 10:07 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Have you looked under the car? That should be the frist step.

I would empty the spare tire compartment first just to make sure nothing in there is causing a noise.

If you can, I'd have someone follow you down the road and see what your rear end does. If your car doesn't firm up after a bump, then you have something wrong. If you wobble side-to-side, then you have a hard link broken. If the rear end bounces, then your shocks are bad. (The shocks could also be the source of the noise.)

Quick Reply: Loud Noise Coming From The Rear