General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

window motor spring came off

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please Help ASAP

I replaced my window motor with a Siemens about 6 months ago and it has been fine up until now. Yesterday I shut my door a little too hard I guess because I heard something clang around inside. I immediately thought my motor had come off. I crack it open today and the motor is still in place and looking good. However, I looked around under the window and found this spring. Can anyone tell me how the hell I can get this thing back to where it needs to go? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-23-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Try taking the other panel off and see how that one is.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Well, I can kind of see where it fits (I think). The problem is I have no idea what I need to do to get it back into place. Is there a certain tool I need to have to put some tension on the spring to pop it in?

Last edited by convexion; 10-23-2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, it definitely fits on this **** with a slot which is on the regulator. Just can't get enough tension on it with my bare hands though. Any recommendations?
Old 10-23-2004, 04:43 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Here is the diagram, but I can't seem to find it:

Name:  DoorAssy.jpg
Views: 2260
Size:  73.1 KB

I agree with 2_wacko, take off the other door panel and have a look.

Good luck,
Craig.

Last edited by CRAGER; 12-20-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. I got the spring back on, but the window still isn't moving. I can hear the motor click when I press the button but that's it. This is driving me nuts. Everything looks right. Also, the window was all the way down when it stopped working and now seems to be locked in place. I'll have a look at the other door but if anyone has ever been through this before feel free to chime in and let me know what I've got to do.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:49 PM

Sounds like it's binding up somewhere. Pull the other door panel for sure to see whats going on there.

It would be nice if you could take pics. You can post them to show us what was the problem, and it would help out the next guy that has the same problem.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

grease the window tracks.check your window motor. or just warranty it. and grease the gear on the next one.. and check your window switch. oh yea check your window relays to make sure theyre not getting hot.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:28 PM

Good points Joe! Does the other window work? If not then maybe its a fuse or relay?

Try using some marine grease on all the tracks and gear teeth.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies. The only thing that bothers me with thinking it may be something electrical is that I heard the spring drop and then the window quit working. Should the regulator still be able to some kind of movement without the spring attached?
Old 10-24-2004, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Okay, I finally got some info from a mechanic friend of mine. The window isn't binding up or anything like that. The problem is that the spring is absolutely essential to the power window motor. Without the spring it can't get enough power to move the regulator. The fun part is you can't just pop the spring back into place. It needs to be wound and to do that you need to take the regulator out. I'm going to see where I can get today and I'll let you all know if I happen to get it working again.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Okay, I've got one last question. It looks like the earliest I'll be able to fix this problem is Tuesday. Having the window wide open until that time is a major security concern for me because I have to leave my car unattended in various parts of town for most of the day. Does anyone know of a method I can use to crank the window shut manually? I don't see any info on it in my GM service manual.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

just take out the motor, and use a stop on the window track. like vise grips on each track front and rear to keep the window from sliding down. or just clamp on the section that the motor gear meshes with.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

Okay, quick update for those who are interested or are ever in this seemingly rare situation. I went ahead and removed the motor so that I could pull up the window. After I did that I simply reinstalled the motor to hold the window in place and disconnected the plug to the motor.

If you need to inch up the window like I did to get it tight, then you shouldn't have a problem using the motor. It's when you allow the motor to bring the window down that you have troubles without a spring because the motor doesn't have enough power to raise the regulator by itself at that position.

Anyway, I'll be replacing the regulator sometime this week and I'll do a full write up with pictures just in case anyone else comes searching for some help on this problem.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Whoa! Hate to bring this out of the dredges, but I totally forgot to update this. No pics, but I got it fixed myself. I finally fixed it out of complete frustration. I grabbed a pair of channel locks, placed the spring on its mount, and twisted it around to lock it back in place. I did all this without taking the door apart, so don't worry about that. You do need to put a substantial amount of power into your grip though. I didn't get it as tight as it once was, but it's good enough now so that I never have a problem putting the window up or down. It's lasted like this since the last post. Again, sorry to bring this back up, just wanted to let anyone who might have the same problem know what I did.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by convexion
Whoa! Hate to bring this out of the dredges, but I totally forgot to update this. No pics, but I got it fixed myself. I finally fixed it out of complete frustration. I grabbed a pair of channel locks, placed the spring on its mount, and twisted it around to lock it back in place. I did all this without taking the door apart, so don't worry about that. You do need to put a substantial amount of power into your grip though. I didn't get it as tight as it once was, but it's good enough now so that I never have a problem putting the window up or down. It's lasted like this since the last post. Again, sorry to bring this back up, just wanted to let anyone who might have the same problem know what I did.
Thanks for the update!!!

Peace,
Craig.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Bringing this back form the dead...

Does anyone have a more detailed method to get the spring back in place with tension?

Quick Reply: window motor spring came off