1.50%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Just wanted to see what your thoughts are on Mobil 1 oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry Kincy
I thought that Castrol Syntec was not synthetic but was dinosaur oil with a marketing name added to make it seem like it is synthetic. I don't much go for companies that have deceptive trade practices.

I only use full synthetic. No dino oil for me.

Mostly Mobil 1 10/40 in the street cars, Red Line 30 wt sythetic in the race car (no detergent or additives so no go for street cars) I got a case of RedLine 10/40 5 qt containers, but haven't used any yet. I need to check and see if it can be used in street catrs.

Perry
You are absolutely correct about the Castrol Syntec line being a "not quite a real synthetic". Except for the German 0W30, it is real synthetic and a real good one at that. The rest of the Syntec line is somewhat mediocre at best. Heck, their regular dino GTX normally returns better numbers than their Syntec. I was also rather put off by Castrol's marketing bullcrap BUT,,, I got over it.

BTW,,,, I wouldn't care if it was reclaimed peanut oil from Burger King,,,, if an oil had as much good feedback as something like the German 0W30 has,,,, I'd use it, peanuts or no peanuts!
Old 12-26-2004, 06:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

As far as I was lead to beleive by a few articles. NO oils are pure synthetic. They all start off as mineral based oils ( as thats what oil is ). But the oils classed as 'Synthetics' have a lot more additives and been chemically changed more.

Basically, they are all dinosaur oils as you call them.

I'd probably agree, that if frequent enough changes are made, that a good quality semi-synth or pure mineral oil would be fine for 99% of applications
Old 12-26-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mobil 1 5W-30 ...