General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schultzsj
When I bought my '98 Camaro in mid 2000 it already had 48k miles on it and looked a bit rough (it was a lease car). I paid $1100 for an aftermarket (Wynn) extended warranty that covered pretty much everything mechanical or electrical for 4 years and another 48k miles (so I was covered to 96k miles). I limited my mods somewhat until then but I had stuff like FTRA, lid, suspension mods, and even a converter installed.

I had an AC compressor replaced by the dealer (I paid $100 deductible, Wynn paid $750), a new motor installed at 63k miles by the dealer (I paid $100 deductible plus $1400 to get a new rather than used motor, Wynn paid about $5500), and a rebuilt transmission at about 83k miles (I paid $100 deductible, Wynn paid about $1700). For the $1100 I paid, Wynn paid almost $8000.

Obviously a rare case but if I had to pay this much I would probably have lost the car. I thought getting a performance car covered until close to 100k miles for $1100 was a good deal - turned out I was right. I did have some problems getting Wynn to pay so I am not sure I would recommend them but they did pay after the necessary "discussions".

I now have 104k miles on the car and finally got the LT's I had to hold off on.

Steve
Steve:
Sounds like it worked out for you... You brought up another good point, most extended warranties will try and replace higher priced parts with used, especially the motor, where as GMPP will only replace parts with new...

Garrett:
Hope you get your management position to carry you through the rest of your schooling and maybe then some.. It is good to look at things from other angles, opens my eyes! Thanks for the chat!
Good luck in your future plans!
Joe