General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

German Castrol EMERGENCY!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Hmm... maybe I should start selling this stuff in the for sale section for an extra dollar per quart + shipping. Ill be a millionaire!
Hey Tony, do they sell this at the autozones by us? Is that what you are using?
Old 03-08-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 20ft only autozone section theory failed. Yesterday I went to my 20' oil wall autozone and guess what, 0w30 is gone for good! I guess i'm back to emergency status.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good thing that I have enough for 5 oil changes.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
Hey Tony, do they sell this at the autozones by us? Is that what you are using?
Kevin, I was just in the AZ on middle country road in selden and they still had some GC on the shelves. I didnt buy any, since my current dose of GC is still pretty new. However I'm probably going to try out the new mobil1 extended performance 5w30. I want to see if the thinner viscosity quiets down my lifters which are currently noisy as **** for the first 5 - 10 minutes. Unfortunately there are no oil analysis results since its a new oil, but ill bet its going to do alright... Hopefully alot better than the old mobil1 5w30. Oddly enough both GC 0w30 and Mobil1 0w40 are almost 20 cst higher (thicker) at 40ºc, even though the 0w would have you believe the contrary. Thats why i want to try the thinner oil again, and possibly come up with a mix of 5w30 and 10w40.

-Tony
Old 03-08-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Kevin, I was just in the AZ on middle country road in selden and they still had some GC on the shelves. I didnt buy any, since my current dose of GC is still pretty new. However I'm probably going to try out the new mobil1 extended performance 5w30. I want to see if the thinner viscosity quiets down my lifters which are currently noisy as **** for the first 5 - 10 minutes. Unfortunately there are no oil analysis results since its a new oil, but ill bet its going to do alright... Hopefully alot better than the old mobil1 5w30. Oddly enough both GC 0w30 and Mobil1 0w40 are almost 20 cst higher (thicker) at 40ºc, even though the 0w would have you believe the contrary. Thats why i want to try the thinner oil again, and possibly come up with a mix of 5w30 and 10w40.

-Tony

Oddly enough, i had valve train noise and other explained noises during cold starts for the first min with M1 5w30. Once I switched to GC 0w30, it all went away.

I'm currently bone dry of my castroil stock, and my local AZ's seem to have dropped it
Old 03-08-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my lifter noise really started once i went from straight m1 5w30 and started mixing in a quart of 15w50, from there i went to 0w40, and from there to GC 0w30. The lifter noise has stayed the same, so i want to see if the thinner oil will quiet it down. On a cold motor, it takes a minute or so before my lifters get noisy, but then they stay that way till the engine fully warms up. If i give it a quick rev or hold it at 2K+ RPM and then go back to idle, the lifter tick goes away for about 10 seconds and then slowly starts to come back. I still have no idea if switching oil will help this, but i plan on trying. Im not ready to do heads, so i cant just swap out for some morels or some such.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

Bro if it is really important to you, i'll pick some up for you and ship it to you, no profit on my part, just oil retail price + shipping. just trying to help a ls1tech bro out!
Originally Posted by Ryan01228
So... Today I go to my local autozone to pick up some of the German 0W30 stuff and i find out some horrible news. Autozone has discontinued it as a company!!!! Does anyone know of another place to get it? Or a suitable replacement?
Old 03-09-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 12stones
Bro if it is really important to you, i'll pick some up for you and ship it to you, no profit on my part, just oil retail price + shipping. just trying to help a ls1tech bro out!
Hey quote me a $ on your reatail + shipping PM it if you want.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:15 AM
Launching!

man theres tons of GC in chicago...i mus be in the mecca of German castrol
Old 03-13-2005, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up Make sure you check all the bottles

Just make sure that you check all of the quart bottles of 0W30 on the shelf to locate the German Version. I had to remove 7 quart bottles that were in the front before I found exactly 6 quarts of the GC that I needed today at AZone.

I guess that I got lucky.

Durring my oil change today I noticed that it was a good thing my Mobil1-206 Filter that was on the car was only hand tightened as neither of the 2 types of oil filter wrenches we had fit it. I was suprised that the guys at the Mobil Lube Center actually listened to me when I asked them NOT to tighten the filter with a wrench during my last oil change. They listened!!! I got it to spin off with a good turn of a tight grip.

I will not use the M1 filter again as it seemed to not flow as well as others I have used. I would say it filters ok but not too sure it actually flows as well as it should. I went with the AC Delco PF59 and I feel it should flow pretty good. Last I recalled it does have a decent anti drainback system in this filter. Hope I remembered correctly.

This will be my 1st go with GC 0W30 as I have been using M1 5W30 since my 01 SS was new. Now that I live back home in Bradenton Florida I think the GC will be a better choice for the climate. Thanks Patman for the info you have available that led me to this decision. Talk about a guy dedicated to taking time to give his best info on vehicle lubrication! Great guy!

I hope everyone writes to AZone and requests that they continue to carry the GC 0W30. It wouldn't hurt to also ask AdvancedAuto to start to carry it. None of our 2 Walmart Super Centersnhad it at all.

Good Luck to all of us when we need it again!
Old 03-13-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 2nd theory, has anybody contacted Porsche dealerships? After all its Porsche approved.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
I have a 2nd theory, has anybody contacted Porsche dealerships? After all its Porsche approved.
Most Porsche dealers will only stock M1 0w40 though.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I discovered today that the RED labeled us imported 0w30 is Not the same. I took some pic's for comparison.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/290798-german-castroil-red-us-german-label-not-same.html
Old 03-26-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to warn you guys who use the German made Castrol 0w30, that there is a new batch which just arrived here which is not the same stuff! It has the code number on the bottom which begins with M05, as opposed to the previous batches which were M02, M03 and M04 (the years they were made)

You'll know when you see the M05 batches that are wrong, because the oil inside is not green, and does not smell anything like the real German stuff.

Some people also have spotted some M05 stuff which is green, so my suspicion is that Castrol is trying to pull a fast one and bottled something different in there for a short while thinking nobody would notice (duh, the right stuff is supposed to be green!).

So if you've been buying this oil, check this code number on the bottom of your bottles to make sure it's not this M05 stuff. Before you buy any new stuff, check the bottles too. My local Walmart had about a 50/50 mix of the M04 stuff and M05 stuff there.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

This is getting ridiculous. You'd think if it was such a great standout oil it would be marketed as such and that you'd be able to get it alot more easily and not have to check the color and smell and codes and whatever other nonsense...

I am not even going to bother b/c even if the color and smell seems right, at this point how can you really even be sure what you are actually getting...

I'd rather stick with something where not only do I know that I can actually get it without having to hunt for it, but also know what I am actually pouring into the car. If they did actually change the formula for 2005 than the 03 & 04 stuff isn't going to be around much longer anyhow.

Last edited by KB99WS6; 03-27-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I checked my inventory

I had one batch of m05 but its all green and smells the same.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

The Autozone near me still stocks it. If you guys need it THAT bad I can always snag some and ship it.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I glanced at about a dozen random bottles and saw no M05 stuff. I just checked about one or two from each set of six I have picked up. I think I'm good.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:35 AM
11 Second Club

umm i work in the auto parts industry.. heres somehting for you guys buying a **** ton of this stuff.. OIL HAS A SHELF LIFE... its about a year .. yeah thats a long time.. BUT u guys have enought for 50k miles.. why do you think they say change ur oil every 3k miles or 6 months.. it breaks down

Mike
Old 03-28-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacktransam
umm i work in the auto parts industry.. heres somehting for you guys buying a **** ton of this stuff.. OIL HAS A SHELF LIFE... its about a year .. yeah thats a long time.. BUT u guys have enought for 50k miles.. why do you think they say change ur oil every 3k miles or 6 months.. it breaks down

Mike
I'd say that is an aguement that has no real answer. When you go to a store, I bet you are buying oil that is atleast 6 months old already. I think most manufacturers give oil a shelf life, because the additives settle if stored for a long period of time. However if properly stored (ie not opened, stored in extreme cold/head/sunlight etc etc) shelf life would be a hell of a lot longer.

Quick Reply: German Castrol EMERGENCY!