General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

air conditioner clicking

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air conditioner clicking

Every time I turn my air conditioner on, it makes a loud clicking/clanking noise and does not blow cold air. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone else know what this could be?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:12 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Might be the clutch or the compressor... https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/170289-air-conditioner-driving-me-crazy.html
Old 04-03-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have it checked for leaks and see if its down on freon
Old 04-03-2005, 01:46 AM
Teching In

mine did that and my car turned off i blew a hole in the compressor ill see if i could post a pic
Old 04-03-2005, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

It is most likely the compressor man. I was told by a friend that whoever last filled mine over filled it with Freon, but I wasn't the owner, it has always clicked. You should hear mine, loud as all hell, sounds terrible, and since compressors are pretty expensive, I am just taking the whole unit out to lose some weight.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Every time I turn my air conditioner on, it makes a loud clicking/clanking noise and does not blow cold air. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone else know what this could be?
had the exact same thing on mine last yr.. it was the compressor

look for a used one in the classified section..
Old 04-13-2005, 11:49 PM

Check the relay going to the A/C and make sure that it has power coming out of it
Old 05-17-2005, 03:26 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the replys. So just how hard is it to change the compressor? I have toyed with the idea of removing it for weight savings, but then again it gets up to 100 degrees here in sacramento.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Thanks for the replys. So just how hard is it to change the compressor? I have toyed with the idea of removing it for weight savings, but then again it gets up to 100 degrees here in sacramento.
It's not bad at all really. I just did mine yesterday. Jack it up, look up, and its right in your face on the passenger side. Have the system bled (or do it yerself), unplug the battery, unplug the compressor, unhook 2 AC lines in the rear, remove 2 mounting bolts and she will drop down. I bought a new can of comprssor oil for mine and chose not to reuse the old oil. Recharging took 3 cans of 134A.

Some manuals suggest changing out the accumulator/dryer when changing the compressor- I chose not to due to the price, and the fact that the system was not run dry nor would be open for very long and it would not result in any major moisture problems.

As for me, every time I used the AC, the compressor would start screaming real loud. I thought the compressor clutch was acting up, so I checked to see if it was cycling on and off. As it turns out, the clutch was fine, but a bearing probably went in the comp itself. As well as the compressor being bad, the comp uses it's own belt and tensioner from the crank and the tensioner was not fully returning, allowing the belt to wobble a bit. One more thing, the comp clutch is electronc, controlled by the computer, and as one member already pointed out, you might want to check the relay. Also, OBDii has about 8 or so codes programmed for the AC system, and might lead you to another fault.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info nibblenuts I found someone to help me check things out. It's raining and cool out so I'm good for now, but it's only a matter of time before it's 100+.

Quick Reply: air conditioner clicking