New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioner is driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004 | 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Angry Air Conditioner is driving me crazy!

The AC works decent I guess, except I am embarassed to use it. Heres why:
http://www.fbody.com/members/Thunder...800ACNoise.mp3

Anyone have a clue. The noise occurs when putting Turning the AC on, not the fan. I posted it somewhere a while back, and still havent fixed it. I found the clip, and what the heck maybe someone knows. Summer is creeping up and I cant keep hiding from my AC. The windows down wont cut it in Texas. Thanks.
John
Old 05-11-2004 | 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Oh man.. that sounds nasty.. I hope you get this one figured out..
Old 05-11-2004 | 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

is it grinding?

sounds like a pressure leak to me!
Old 05-11-2004 | 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
Oh man.. that sounds nasty.. I hope you get this one figured out..
lol. I know.

It is a grinding, but a hollow sounding grind/snawl/growl. Pressure leak. Where to look? Thanks ramairstyle00.
Old 05-11-2004 | 02:34 AM
Banned

Almost sounds to me like a bad compressor clutch or crapped compressor. Still without seeing the car sounds vage.
Old 05-11-2004 | 02:35 AM
Teching In

no idea..is that the engine bay? or inside the car?...ac belts?
Old 05-11-2004 | 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

The clip is in the Engine Bay. I have heard AC clutch. is the clutch replacable by it self? Thanks,

John
Old 05-11-2004 | 09:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
The clip is in the Engine Bay. I have heard AC clutch. is the clutch replacable by it self? Thanks,

John
The clutch itself is replaceable sometimes in car, however I normally choose to take them out. Of course like every other AC problem car on LS1 tech i'm gonna say take your car to a professional, it will save you money in the long run. Their are quite a few things DIY guys don't consider when doing a AC repair, that could ultimatly ruin the compressor totally let in plenty of non condensables and don't vacuum at all or not properly resulting in blockages and a soaked desicant.
Old 05-11-2004 | 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
The clutch itself is replaceable sometimes in car, however I normally choose to take them out. Of course like every other AC problem car on LS1 tech i'm gonna say take your car to a professional, it will save you money in the long run. Their are quite a few things DIY guys don't consider when doing a AC repair, that could ultimatly ruin the compressor totally let in plenty of non condensables and don't vacuum at all or not properly resulting in blockages and a soaked desicant.
Thanks, any idea how much something like that is gonna cost?
Old 05-11-2004 | 02:59 PM
That's what she said...

mine makes the EXACT same noise. i forgot that i had the A/C on, revved thru first till about 6k and it was toast. im hoping its just the clutch, but i dont know. mine has since stopped blowing cold so im starting to lean more toward a completly F#$&ED compressor. how much have you used it since it started making the noise? mine blew cold w/ that noise for a while but doesnt now.
Old 05-11-2004 | 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got the car a year ago. The AC made the noise since I got it. I hardly ever use it because it is extremly embarassing.
Old 05-11-2004 | 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
I must agree. Two weeks ago, my AC made the same noise, started out light, then the noise to where yours is at. Found out the my compressor froze and when the clutch is ingaged, it tried to turn but was not able to because the whole compressor seized. Now I am runnging without AC until I can afford to fix it. JFYI...recommended not just replacing the compressor but also the dryer and orifice tube.

Dan
Old 05-12-2004 | 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

i did the same **** to my 98, hauled *** 125 mph down the freeway pretty soon my ac took a dump the thing froze and the belt about caught fire when it shredded, i replaced the compressor the orfice and drier,

good luck

J
Old 05-13-2004 | 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine does it too, did the same thing. These things don't like revin to 6k with the AC on, I always ride with the t-tops off now, even when it is close to 100 degrees and humid as hell. It sucks, just never had it looked at yet. I'll be checking back here to see if ya figure it out, let me know if you do.
Nick
Old 05-13-2004 | 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

A word of advice to everyone. Use your AC for about 10 minutes every couple of weeks so the seals can get lubricated. Premature compressor wear is almost always caused by someone not using there AC often enough. I really wish they'd put this in the car manuals because it really is a huge issue.
Old 05-13-2004 | 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about when it is freezing cold out? Just let it sit in the driveway and run the A/C?
Old 05-13-2004 | 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z289899
What about when it is freezing cold out? Just let it sit in the driveway and run the A/C?
defroster, runs the AC compressor.

you can run the AC, and have it on full heat too, will work fine.

Ryan
Old 05-13-2004 | 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow
defroster, runs the AC compressor.

you can run the AC, and have it on full heat too, will work fine.

Ryan
Yep, I'd also like to add this is for all vehicles. Not just LS-1's.
Old 05-15-2004 | 07:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dal1as
A word of advice to everyone. Use your AC for about 10 minutes every couple of weeks so the seals can get lubricated. Premature compressor wear is almost always caused by someone not using there AC often enough. I really wish they'd put this in the car manuals because it really is a huge issue.
Not a big issue, all the oil goes to the compressor anyway with gravity. During cold months an 8 hour duration of ambient temp above 25, the HVAC module will do something called Anti-Slugging on start up. It will run the compressor during start up to purge liquid refigerant and excess oil. So the compressor does get turned on one way or another, beyond our control. The bigger problem with anti slugging is it can contribute to a slow or no starting problem, that is the problem, could care less what the HVAC module commands long as the car starts and blows cold when told to.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner is driving me crazy!