General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight motor HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 02:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I installed my brass gear, I used the epoxy provided to glue the cover back on. That lasted all of a week, so I sanded the edges of the cover and applied some liquid nail to it. I guarantee that bastard won't come off anymore.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QuikTransAm
When I installed my brass gear, I used the epoxy provided to glue the cover back on. That lasted all of a week, so I sanded the edges of the cover and applied some liquid nail to it. I guarantee that bastard won't come off anymore.
Did you put it around the edge where the two pieces fit together or did you put a layer all the way around the motor and cover real thick?

The superglue I used lasted longer than the epoxy that came with the gear. I think the problem with mine was that the motor wasn't shutting off like it is supposed to and it was over torquing everything. The gear kept wanting to be torqued out of the housing. If that is what is happening to you, a whole motor replacement might be the only fix. That's just my situation and I only had a problem with the drivers side, so maybe it is different for every person. I'm just giving my advice in the hopes someone will be helped.

Later.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Well I used some sandpaper to get the dried epoxy off and then I just applied some liquid nail to the edges, slapped some vice grips on the cover, and the next day put it back in the car. It's worked great ever since...(knock on wood).

But if the motor is over-torquing then the motor itself is probably bad which you might could rebuild it if you have the know-how (to save some $) or best thing would probably be to get a new one.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies

To fix or buy headlight gears:

projecttransam.com