General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Let's talk about DexCool...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

black TA.. yes in short. The manufactures including GM state NOT to use any collant additives to the system. There can be unknown chemical reactions. since they won't test all of these additives and the product maker doesn't have to or can lie to use it's not worth it. Besides. Witha healthy system there is no need for additives.

Jam. I see a lot of stuff "at work" but something that you have to consider is this. Unless the car is yours and you have had it since it was new there is a very unknown history. You have no way of telling for sure what all that car has encountered during it's lifetime. Trust me, I have seen a lot of strange things in my years as a tech, and there is no way that they came from the factory like this. People can really screw up cars like you wouldn't belive.

another missconception. Mixing green ethylen clychol with dexcool doesn't make it sludge up. However there is a perprotional relationship to how much green antifreeze there is to how much the longevity of the coolant has been lowered. This means that the more green coolant you add the the more you turn it into nomal green coolant and it needs to be changed on the same shedule as such.

Sorry for any misspellings, I literaly just woke up and my eyes are still glazed over
Old 05-25-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
black TA.. yes in short. The manufactures including GM state NOT to use any collant additives to the system. There can be unknown chemical reactions. since they won't test all of these additives and the product maker doesn't have to or can lie to use it's not worth it. Besides. Witha healthy system there is no need for additives.
and if we always listened to what GM said we would all have our factory plugs till 100k and coolant till 100k. i think im speaking for everyone when i say that just because GM says it doesent necesarily make it valid.
now of course big names like redline and royal purple arent just going to put out some unknown coolant additive that could potentialy cause severe damage without some sort of proof to back it up. and to increase the cooling capabilities of dex-cool can hardly be seen as a negative effect.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like I said before. If your system is healthy there is no need for any of it anyway. Trust me. Where I live it's still in the mid 80's at midnight. If anyone needed something to keep their cars cooler I would. But I don't. I have a correctly maintained cooling system and it works perfectly which it will continue to do without the use of any "Potentialy" harmfull additives.

Think about it this way. "most" coolants now produced usualy contain a small amount of the same chemical that is put in the additives. which is fine for us. When you start adding more on top of it then you run the risk of it turning your gaskets and seals into mush. Trust in the coolant. It's not 1970 anymore. There are plenty of engineers and chemists making a very good antifreeze now. Really it's all you need. If you get to the point where your worried about things like nucleate boiling and outgassing then you can think about ways to go about it carefully or even switch over to an evans coolant. But your not there yet. A healthy stock system is all you really need right now.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mmmchickenboy
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...m_dexcool.html

i personally am still running dexcool, but when its time to switch im going to use honda radiator fluid. ya ya ya blah blah damn ricers whatever, the truth is dexcool sucks, and honda rad fluid is an excellent replacement, it is silicate free so it doesnt erode alumnium (duh, practically all honda engines are aluminum) and in my experience it has help up very well. smells good too, and its blue. later!

Jeremy
My wife's Mini Cooper has that same blue coolant. Where can you buy that stuff besides a dealership?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm interested as well. Where can I get the blue stuff ?
What is the brand name ?