General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

turn signals not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signals not working

My turn signals stopped flashing the other day. If I push it up or down, they will turn on, but not flash. Both bulbs are fine. Is there a relay that I can replace, or do I have to replace the whole flasher unit? Thanks.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

probably just the flasher. usualy part number 552. If you take off the kick pannal under your steering wheel you should see it cliped to the right side. Small, round, silver with 2 wires.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Either that or the sockets could be bad. I ended up replacing three of my taillight sockets to get everything working. However, that was for problems isolated to each side. Since both are out, I would say it's the flasher like HBHRacing said.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if the bulbs light up but doesn't flash it's the flasher. If one or more of the bulbs doesn't light up then it's probably a socket, but since both went out at the same time I'm willing to bet it's the flasher. just make sure that all the bulbs light up and don't flash and thats it
Old 05-24-2005, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds good, i'm goin by autozone tomorrow to pick up a new flasher, thanks
Old 05-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok i got something for u guys....my car does the same thing(does not flash but lights up) but its only on the left side of the car.... and the left side of the car brake lights dont light up either... any ideas?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ground perhaps, doesnt need lights, weight, its a 8 sec race car
Old 05-25-2005, 03:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bizzzatch350
Ground perhaps, doesnt need lights, weight, its a 8 sec race car

but i still want lights man come on haha
Old 05-25-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

does the front signal light work as well? the one rear signal light is also a brake light. fix that and it might work, maybe it's leaking voltage from the burnt brake bulb.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

my car did the same thing, i replaced the flasher(which is on the left side btw) and it still didnt work. make sure that both bulbs in the front arent burnt out(that was my problem). then double check the back. if that still doesnt get it done let us know.

anthony
Old 05-25-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no, the turn signal flasher is cliped on the RIGHT side of the colum, not the left side. It's right behind the right side pannal that the kick panel removed screws to.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

if oyu have a bulb out in front say a drl or sometihng it iwll throw oyur whoel setup off..check all light bulbs up front as well..see if one of them is broken
Old 05-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Banned

ok thanx guys ill check tomorrow
Old 05-26-2005, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

I have a similar problem too. When I turn the headlights on, the right side blinker arrow lights up and stays lit. If I actually turn the right one on, the arrow turns off. The left one works fine, flashes normal. I tried replacing the bulb yesterday and the bulb still didnt light up, I suppose it is the socket. If I replace the socket could that fix everything?

Dustin
Old 05-26-2005, 09:17 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Change the bulbs. It's the bulbs. Went through that problem last yr. Make sure when replacing the bulbs you got them on correctly in the socket because if you don't you'll still get the same result thinking it's the flasher.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:26 AM
Teching In

Dustin check your front turn singnal sockets. I spent about 4 hrs today figuring out my turn signal/DRL problem. It started out with having no left hand turn singnal and DRL. Along with the instrument cluster signal light staying solid when u signaled left. The right side turn signals were both flashing along with the drl working properly. So first thing I did was check all the bulbs. Then I checked all the fuses with a test light. No fuse was found blown, but found the front left turn signal bulb burnt out. So easy fix right? just put in a new amber bulb and wha la. Well installed the new bulb and still no left front turn signal flashing, oh and the left rear signal would just stay soild on like the front. Hmmm now what? Ok try the hazards, Well now the right frt. and rear still flash but now the left rear is flashing also but no the frt left. Yeeeah I did'nt get that at all. Ok maybe the flasher went out so check the flasher. Turns out both flashers are good, Well only thing I did'nt check was the sockets. Low and behold the right front socket was all rusted, and filled with corrosion but the funny thing is it was still flashing. So I cleaned both frt. sockets, reinstalled bulbs and what do yah know all turn signals work. Well I should'nt say everything is fixed just quite yet. Now the DRL's are not turning on but the turn signals work atleast.... haha Check the sockets out and let me know what you find.

Nick. Sacramento, CA
Old 08-30-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok how bout this! lol...my front turnsignals dont work at all when i put the blinker on either side, but the rear lights just light up and stay solid..but if i put the hazards on the rears blink, but nothing up front...but, both my bulbs are good in the turn signals b/c parking lights work when i turn the switch...but my day time running lights dont work...

this just happened today! still think its the flasher?

Jon
Old 08-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Teching In

My front turn signals are completely out, but in the rear using a turn signal causes the light to get brighter, but not flash. In the dash the turn signal lights turn on when you use them, but they do not blink.

Im pretty sure the front turn signal lights need new bulbs, but any ideas on why the back doesnt flash?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Restricted User

I have found the flasher on the left side but there is the same looking device on the right side as well. I am having the same problem, but after looking at the socket on the front left, I found it to be burnt looking. Even the bulb looked that way. I talked to a friend at napa and he told me that the sockets can get burnt from bulbs that are not seated correctly. I am on the hunt. I will let you guys know what I found.

My problem:
DRL on the left is not working.
Left turn signal is on solid.
Left front blinker doesn't flash.
Left rear stays on solid.
Left front comes on when the headlights are turned on, but no turn signal.
Everything on the right side works.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI. You'll have one flasher for the turn signals and one for the hazards.

Mike