General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squealing noise from rear of car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Squealing noise from rear of car.

Been having this problem for a while now, and it keeps getting worse. Only happens during turns more than say...65% angle. When i turn i get a squealing/grinding noise from the rear of the car, similar to bad bad brake squeal. Brakes however dont squeal when coming to a stop. anyone got suggestions, or advice?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it matter how fast your travelling in the turn or how hard you have the wheel turned? I have a very slight squeal when ripping around corners from my rear brake pads. If its getting worse for you, you could be getting close to the wear indicator on your brake pads. When you corner a turn, your wheel, rotor and hub assembly might flex enough to start hitting the wear indicator(s). How many miles are on your brakes and who put them in? Sometimes the mounting bolts for the calipers are not greased properly and could cause squealing without brakes applied (and goes away when you step on the brakes). Also, make sure all your lug nuts are tight. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

i dont carve corners hardly at all, so i only notice it at low speed..i was thinking that the brake system was just flexing and it was just brake squeal...gonna go ahead and change brakes on all 4, install and line lock, and quit buring up the rear pads at the track.

thanks man
Old 07-16-2005, 02:24 AM
TECH Resident

I had a similar squeal (started at about 20k), but from the front, and only turning left. Checked out the pads, but it still squealed. I replaced the tires at about 30k (they were probably overdue by about 2k), and since then no squeal. Don't know if this helps, but at least it's another possible cause.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:40 AM
Teching In

Are you sure it's coming from your brakes? I had a similar problem on my '98 T/A and after changing the rear gear oil (and adding the correct limited slip additive), it cleared it right up. Just a thought...
Old 07-17-2005, 02:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shadow Assassin
Are you sure it's coming from your brakes? I had a similar problem on my '98 T/A and after changing the rear gear oil (and adding the correct limited slip additive), it cleared it right up. Just a thought...
very possible...now that i think about it...the gears have begun to whine on decel, and when i turn, it feels like i have a damned spool. may be time for a gear swap....DAMNIT!
Old 07-17-2005, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

i have thought about this for a few hours, and have come to this conclusion about the launching thing....

- in addition to the weird squeal every time i turn for the past few months getting progressively worse.
- i am having gear whine getting progressively worse
- i think i am having wheel hop, instead of spinning at the track
- when i turn the car feels like it has a spool instead of a posi, and it very "bouncy"

= i either need to flush and refill the rear end, or its time for gears....any advice on that from anyone?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

well i pulled off the rear pads, and they are nowhere close to being worn down enuff to cause the problem, so i guess next thing to do is flush/refill the diff. and see what happens.

with the **** its doing, could it be a posi going out???
Old 07-22-2005, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

got the cover off and instantly saw silver fluid and felt metal shavings....looked in the bottom of the differential housing to find a c-clip just laying there....not cool! never thought a car with 280 at the wheels could be snapping axles, and breaking posi's but oh well!

thanks everyone!