General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

drove by a puddle; now my car squeaks, battery will go low and car will shut off

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Need help ASAP

I have been having some trouble with my car after Saturday’s rain. I drove by a puddle, now my car squeaks and my battery with go low and the car will shut off. You guys think that something might be wet, or perhaps my alternator is going out.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to say.....but after a day of that nice Texas sun.....if it was wet it is probably dry now.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Launching!

I tried to jumpstart it, and it ran normal for a few miles. Then that squeaking noise comes back (sounds like a pulley) and the battery gage starts to drop, my lights dim, the temp goes up, and the AC stops cooling. Then my warning lights come on, even the air bag light. Then the car will shut off and I’ll need to jumpstart it. I think this has to do with my alternator, but I’m not to sure. Has anyone had this problem?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Teching In

I recommend taking the battery up to Advance orAutozone and having them load test it (free service). I have seen batteries go bad and make the alternator work harder to try and recharge the battery. The battery could be dead and or the alternator crapped out. Just .02
Old 07-18-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

check the alternator, its not charging i bet. Get yourself a volt meter and check the battery while the car is running, should read 14.7. and with the car off it should be 12.6. If its not 14.7ish while its running you have a problem with the charing system...

Quick Reply: drove by a puddle; now my car squeaks, battery will go low and car will shut off