General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Proper Hydraulic Lift Points?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Hydrolic Lift Points?

Well, I ordered some BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KWD's from Sam's Club the other day and I'm waiting for them to come in, but I woke up this morning thinking... what if they don't know the proper lifting techniques for F-Bodies??
I surely don't want to end up with the bent or broken front fenders, so if anyone could show me a picture that I could print off for them I'd really appreciate it. If no pictures exist explination would be nice aswell.

I may just ask them to jack up one side at a time with a floor jack if we can't get anything for proper lifting points.. *sigh*
Old 07-14-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are small rails that run the length of the car. They have little notches in them. 1 is about 2" from the front fender, one is about 2" from the back fender. You lift on those. I would think it would take an idiot to mess a car up by lifting it.

This should help you.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

on the back they will use the front lower control arm area, and on the front they will locate two areas that are flat, right above the area subframe connectors would weld to.
justin
Old 07-14-2005, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

dont use the pinch welds in the front to lift, or youll end up with your fenders benting out, like mine

use the rails like said before

and if your useing a floor jack, for the front anywhere on the K-member and for the rear just jack up the middle of the axle
Old 07-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Teching In

I work for sam's club doing tires and simply put, do not take your eyes off their tech's not even for a second. I'm the only one in my shop that knows how to properly lift an f-body, in fact the one time that a TA came in and I wasn't there, they put it on a unibody lift and bent up his driveshaft safety loop and somethin else (can't remember offhand). In fact based on my experience with discount tire, if they're gonna use jacks show them where you want it before they even stick the jack under the car. I don't know how many times I've had to bend fenders back into place b/c someone couldn't read "do not jack here". I'm not saying all techs don't know what they're doing, but the majority of them don't unless they've either owned an f-body or severely screwed one up by lifting it wrong.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

If you are so worried have them mount and balance the tires on your rim. And then put them on yourself at home.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Well, I got them put on Friday, they just lifted it with a jack and I told them to take their time ( and they did, 2+ hours ) but they did it and the car came out fine! I can still spin the KDW's from a stop if I romp it but If I feather it till about 10mph then romp it instead of spinning I take off like a freight train.. awesome Now I just need my GMMG exhaust and I won't have to turn the radio on anymore *woop*
Old 07-18-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Junkie

The simple solution would have been to not shop at Sam's Club....they suck.

Shoulda gone to Costco...
Old 07-18-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

Green Bay doesn't have a Costco, nor is there one within 50 miles from here. I feel I got a great deal and they did an awesome job. I also get free tire rotation every 7500 which rules
Old 07-18-2005, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueSix
The simple solution would have been to not shop at Sam's Club....they suck.

Shoulda gone to Costco...
I knew someone that worked there (friend of a friend) and he took the car out for donuts, before he changed the tires
Old 07-18-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Heh, Anyone who would walk away from their car obviously doesn't care enough.. I didn't leave the area for the entire time they were being installed.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I was just giving you a hard time, nothing too terribly wrong with Sam's. I only mentioned Costco 'cause that's who i work for.

And costco gives free rotate and balance whenever you want, for the lifetime of the tire.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Nice. Tell them to build one up here, see if it can compete with Wal-Mart and Sam's Club.