General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help w/ air bag change out

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w/ air bag change out

I bought some airbags from ebay, but I am not sure if I need to change the module too. Does anyone know what else I need to do? Or can I just swap the bags out with no worries.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:50 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some information on what else to check

"Accident With or Without Air Bag Deployment -- Component Inspections

After any collision, inspect the following components as indicated. If you detect any damage, replace the component. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair the component or replace the hardware as needed.

- Steering column - Perform the steering column accident damage checking procedures.
- IP Knee Bolsters and Mounting Points - Inspect the knee bolsters for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
- IP brackets, braces, etc. - Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
- Seat Belts - Perform the seat belt operational and functional checks.
- IP Cross Car Beam - Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
- IP Mounting Points and Brackets - Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
- Seats and Seat Mounting Points - Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.

Accident With Frontal Air Bag Deployment -- Component Replacement and Inspections

After a collision involving air bag deployment, replace the following components. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair or replace the mounting points and mounting hardware as needed.

- Inflatable restraint IP (inflator) module
- Inflatable restraint steering wheel (inflator) module
- Inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM)

After a collision involving air bag deployment, inspect the Inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil and the coil wiring pigtail for melting, scorching, or other damage due to excessive heat. Perform this component inspection in addition to the inspections indicated above in Accident With or Without Air Bag Deployment. If you detect any damage, replace the component. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair the component or replace the hardware as needed."