General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Right Turn Signal Problems - Help :-(

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Turn Signal Problems - Help :-(

Ok, I'm having some problems with my right turn signal (blinker).

When I flip it to go right it sticks there, what I mean by sticking is it lights up in the front and the back but it just lights up, and doesn't blink. The left side works perfectly. It's just the right side that lights up but doesn't blink. Brake lights and everything work fine as well.

It rained pretty hard last night so I figured it might have gotten some water in there or something? Maybe I need a new bulb? Any suggestions would be appreciated considering how the people in my town drive, I will probably be rear ended because they don't pay attention plus I hate having non-functional lights.

Thanks in advance .
Old 07-20-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

By the way, there is no clicking sound that I can hear, sorry for the double post.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your bulbs.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, I've replaced the right side bulb. Replaced the Flasher. And still nothing.

The weird thing is that when I took out the old flasher the left side blinker still clicked and lit up, and the right still lit up but didn't blink. Remember, I took out the flasher (didn't replace it, and it still worked.) Basically it had no flasher in the fuse thing and the blinker was still working. Could it be the wrong thing? I replaced the Silver Thing in the picture with the new one and it didn't work.

Basically I have replaced everything I could think of and still nothing. The wiring looks good but I decided to take some pictures so everyone could see what's going on. The last owner messed up the wiring big time, he has an aftermarket alarm in there but didn't give me the remote for it. The red light still works for the alarm but I don't think the alarm itself works. I've been thinking of taking it out but I'm afraid it will mess something up.

I need to get this fixed as soon as possible, considering my car is still torn apart because I didn't feel like putting everything back on until it's fixed.

Anyone have any ideas at all?

I threw the pictures on one of my old sites I used for my old car because they were too big for this site it takes ahwhile to load so hopefully no one is to impatient. I wanted to get as much detail as possibe so I didn't resize them.

Link 2 The Pictures -Arg

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Renegade; 07-20-2005 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Forgot Link
Old 07-20-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've checked all the fuses and stuff also and nothing is blown. Any ideas would really help, I would like to have it working before dark.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Teching In

i didnt read all of the post but is it up front i dont konw how a camaro turnsignal lamp is attached to the exterior but i had that problem with my TA, make sure the bulb mount is dry and not too rusted. mine would get water in it and ahave the same symptoms that you described.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Welcome to the world of crappy turn-signal sockets. I've had the same problem. Usually, five minutes spent cleaning and drying out the sockets and re-packing with electrical grease would do the trick until the next big downpour. However, I have replaced the socket twice now. They just get so damn hot, it dries out and the connections fail. Don't bother with the GM replacement - too much money. Go to your local Autozone and get a replacement socket. There was a posting with a step-by-step method for fixing, but I don't know if it's still around. Try a search on turn signal. You might find it. Also, don't get discouraged when working on it. It's not that hard. Just take your time. Should really be more than 15-25 minutes. Good luck!!

Brian
Old 07-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

yeah- what he said. It's a bitch getting the lower air dam of, but one you have access to the vehicle, it's easy to clamp on some all weather wire connetors. (Go to Autozone in the Fuse/Bulb setion)
Old 07-21-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Basically go get a replacement socket from autoparts? And it should work until it rains again... that's probably what it was because it has been raining quite a bit the last couple of days. I will go pick one of those up tomorrow after I get my paycheck, and if that doesn't work I will replace my flasher and all the bulbs again lol.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

It's not the flasher unit- that controls the timing of blinker/hazard. The new one will work great... just be sure to insulate the exposed wires w/ expert ribbed plastic or elec. tape. It will keep he water out b/ it comes with a new gasket lookin thing.
BTW- Youll have about 10" of clearance to fiddle with that thing.. be ready to get some cut arms and wrists.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

There are two flashers. One for the hazards and one for the signals. You didn't pull the wrong one did you? If you pull the flasher for the hazards your turn signals will still work and vice versa.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I pulled the silver one that you can see in the pictures. The replacement looked exactly like it and it still didn't work. Anyway, I think I'm gonna grab a new socket tomorrow because I've already replaced the Flasher and the Front Bulb. I appreciate the advice and hopefully this will be figured out tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:28 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

There are two flashers.
One is for the left/right signals,
The other one is for the hazards.

If one side works and the other doesnt, then there is nothing wrong with the flasher.

Turn on the hazards and look for the bulb that either isnt flashing, flashing erratically, or not lit at all. That will be the culprit. The front and rear turnsignals are dual filament. The dim fiament is for the "parking" lights and the brighter filament is for brake lights and signals.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Banned

I had this same exact problem not 3 days ago, i figured there was a socket or bulb problem and literally right before i decided to go and get another bulb and do a little work on it to see what i could do, it solved itself.

So I believe the problem is directly related to some water getting down into the inner workings of that socket and causing it to just stay lit and not blink, i assume the water that was jamming up my components just naturally evaporated and alleviated the problem