General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Smelling Gas outside of car

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smelling Gas outside of car...

Since I bought the Camaro last week I have been smelling gas outside of the car...I was told that sometimes the gas fumes evaporate from the mouth of the tank when you fill up and actually that did happen to me as I spilled just a minimal amount on the tip of the tank. However that was last week, now when I filled up today I made sure I didn't spill anywhere and I sealed the gas cap shut and went about my business. When I got home and parked the car, I stepped out for a brief second sniffing a whiff of gasoline coming my way. I checked under the car, no leaks, no fluids, nothing under there, I checked the gas cap area just to make sure I didnt spill any gas at the tip and it was dry as it can be. Then I went under the hood to check for any clues at all there and there was nothing there either...

Could this mean a bad fuel pump or something, or a bad gas cap. The car passed AZ emissions last year, gas cap test and everything but I am afraid if I leave it like this smelling gas everywhere it may affect the emmissions on when I do get it done...

I just want to know because I particularly dont like smelling gas outside of my cars, its just not a healthy thing to be breathing into your system. Should I take it to someone and see if they can tell me or what is going on here?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

check your evap system
Old 07-31-2005, 02:09 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same here if i fill here up to much the back flow plate at the mouth of the tank lets some gas out
Old 08-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Default vacuum canaster

ive heard that if the vacuum canister, located behind the drivers quarter, is bad you will smell raw fuel. hope this helps mine is the same way too im gonna try to change out the canister ill keep you posted
Old 08-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Teching In

my 95 formula smells like raw fuel too. and I have changed the cannister and did not change anything I would like to know too what else to do
Old 08-12-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my exhaust leak doesn't help either
Old 08-12-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd try and fill it up the next time, but instead of trying to top it off just stop. See if that helps. FWIW my car smells like gas when I get out as well. Or anytime it's running
Old 08-15-2005, 12:13 AM
Import Patrol

check the fuel filter for leaks, that could be the cause, Or maybe the small washers from the lines coming out of the pump are bad. Next time you take the car out for a drive, park your car; jack it up and check for wet spots or drip to narrow down where the leak is coming from
Old 08-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Teching In

I had the same year camaro that you have, I also had the exact same problem. I went crazy trying to find out what was causing it. Turns out that it was the seal on top of the tank for the fuel pump was bad and the fumes leaked through there. The best way to figure this out is to send fog through the evap system. Most shops have the machine to do this. I think it's pretty expensive. I was able to do it for free since we had one at our shop, but it will show you where your leaking within minutes. It works by hooking up to one of your evap lines. Then you block off any outlets coming from your evap system. After that, you turn on the pump, within seconds you will start to see fog pouring out of wherever your leak is. It is the easiest way to fing your problem. Other then that you are gonna have to drop your tank to find out for sure, and that's no walk in the park especially if you are dealing with a rusty car. But i'm pretty sure that's what your problem is. Good luck.