Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

replacing mine today.....cross your fingers.....hope it fixes it
Old 05-07-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Replaced the BCM in my GF camaro a couple of weeks ago and she hasn't had a problem since.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

I replaced mine and everything works now....i guess the problem is solved.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

I'm such a slacker. I've had my BCM for years and still haven't replaced it, but today is the day. The reason: mine finally died. It used to be an intermittent power loss, but now I havent had radio or power windows in 2 days. At least now I'll fix the stupid problem Just to clarify too, some guy said the RAP is located on the firewall next to the gas pedal, but I'm not sure what they are talking about. The BCM is located just above the glove box below the passenger air bag, and as far as I know the RAP is inside the BCM.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Alright, so I changed mine out and so far so good To anybody who is starting to see this issue, do yourself a favor, change it now! It's so not worth the frustration of it cutting off all the time. It took me about 45 mins to swap, taking my time.

Pull the glove box
Pull the panel below the glove box
Pull the passenger kick panel and you're there.

There are 3 connectors going into the module, I recommend taking out the big one first because its easy. The second two are easier to get out once the BCM is out of its holster. To get it out of the holster you push the BCM back towards the firewall and you will hear it pop out. Then just pull down and you can then remove the second two connectors using a flat head screwdriver.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

I recommend trying to fix your factory one first. On my car, I saved the expense of replacing my BCM by just adding a little solder to a couple of suspicious looking joints, and voila, good as new. You don't have anything to lose by trying this method first, and you stand the chance of saving yourself 130 bucks.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:15 AM
Launching!

I can't help wondering......how much longer will we even be able to buy new BCMs??
Old 04-29-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

That's a good point about trying to fix the stock one. I took a look at mine but there was nothing that looked out of the ordinary. I actually picked up a used one for basically nothing and just had another key cut to match.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jason3956
Hi all.

sometimes when i'm driving my 98 camaro, the radio goes off. when this happens, the power windows on both driver and passenger side stops working. all other electrical things work. this happens on both smooth roads and bumpy roads so bumps are not the problem. anyone ever heard or had this happen?

any suggestions on a fix?

thanks

jason
The plastic gear in one of your headlight motors is getting stripped?????

Old 04-30-2009, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Im sure im having the same problems! Actually I know Im having that problem! Is the BCM something you would buy at a salvage yard or should it preferably be brand new? If so how much do they cost for a 98 ls1 camaro and do you have to reprogram the car after instillation?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Golden One
Im sure im having the same problems! Actually I know Im having that problem! Is the BCM something you would buy at a salvage yard or should it preferably be brand new? If so how much do they cost for a 98 ls1 camaro and do you have to reprogram the car after instillation?
I know you can get them from the dealership, my assumption is that when you buy from them you give them your VIN and they give you one that matches (BCM is what checks the resistor in your key before allowing the car to start). I think they are about $130 according to what somebody posted, but I could be wrong.

I actually bought mine at a salvage yard, but in order for that to work you have to get a new key cut with the resistor from the salvage car's key (or if you happen to get lucky they may just be the same). I got a local GM dealership to cut me a new key. You also need to make sure the salvage car has the same setup you do (power windows, power door locks, etc). I'm not sure if there are differences across years either, there definitely may be.

With that being said, unless you're really up to the task of hunting one down or know exactly where you can find one and they will let you borrow the key for a day or two, you may be better off buying a new one. The only reason I got a used one was because it was super easy to get and it cost me next to nothing. If I ever have problems with this one I dont think I would hesitate to just buy a new one.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Default You can get a used one

I bought one off of ebay and it just happened to work (1 in 9 chance) because the resistor in the keys was the same. There is a method to 'reprogram' the used ones that can be done without the TechII. Obviously I did not have to use it, I have been trying to find the article for about 1 hr now- I found it through internet search last time. I will see if I have it printed out at home when I get there, if I do not find it soon here.
Just keep in mind, if you buy one in salvage yard or ebay- they are likely as old or older than yours- that broke...

I FOUND IT....
Here it is, see last page for reprogramming information. My bad, it does NOT reprogram key recognition-still work to be done on this I guess.
http://motorage.search-autoparts.com...09/article.pdf

Last edited by 13brian; 05-06-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 13brian
I bought one off of ebay and it just happened to work (1 in 9 chance) because the resistor in the keys was the same. There is a method to 'reprogram' the used ones that can be done without the TechII. Obviously I did not have to use it, I have been trying to find the article for about 1 hr now- I found it through internet search last time. I will see if I have it printed out at home when I get there, if I do not find it soon here.
Just keep in mind, if you buy one in salvage yard or ebay- they are likely as old or older than yours- that broke...

I FOUND IT....
Here it is, see last page for reprogramming information. My bad, it does NOT reprogram key recognition-still work to be done on this I guess.
http://motorage.search-autoparts.com...09/article.pdf

Your luck runs alot better than mine. If I would have bought nine of them, none would have been the correct resistor.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 AM
12 Second Club

I just pulled my BCM out, and found one of the soldered connections broke on one of the relays.. Easy fix.. Going to go put it back in now..
Hopefully that was the only problem.. Didn't see any other connections broke.

(took me all of 10 minutes to pull it out... Like what was stated earlier, yank the kick panel out, and the bottom cover under the glove box, Pry the BCM towards the front of the car, you will here it pop out, and then pull it down, disconnect the harnesses, and whala it's out ready to inspect)
Old 06-16-2009, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThunderZ28
I just pulled my BCM out, and found one of the soldered connections broke on one of the relays.. Easy fix.. Going to go put it back in now..
Hopefully that was the only problem.. Didn't see any other connections broke.

(took me all of 10 minutes to pull it out... Like what was stated earlier, yank the kick panel out, and the bottom cover under the glove box, Pry the BCM towards the front of the car, you will here it pop out, and then pull it down, disconnect the harnesses, and whala it's out ready to inspect)
Just installed it back in my car.. radio came right on, windows work.. looks to be the quick fix....and saved me $130..
Old 06-18-2009, 12:58 AM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...blems-fix.html

all right here
Old 06-19-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

My Z28 did that before, does this happen to you guys who have aftermarket stereos? Thats the main reason why Im staying stock interior in my WS6 lol.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:19 AM

Smile

Hey guys, i have a 95 Firebird V6, Windows and Radio just cut out on me the other day, the drivers side window has been stuck open the past 3 days, is there a BCM on the 95 firebirds? if there is, is it in the same location near the glove box? a fast reply would be nice, im looking at trying to rip the BCM out within the next 2 hours and examine for loose or broken connections.

Few things to know
Steering Column was replaced, along with the ignition last week..
My Brother stated the radio would turn on and off while driving.
There is an aftermarket radio installed.
Swapped Fuses and they seem to not be the issue.
If i put the key into the ignition, and turn it counter clockwise for i guess the accessory power, nothing happens.

Mike

EDIT:I just was looking around the passanger side where the glove box is, following this tutorial.
http://www.fbodyonline.com/how-to-fi...ocks/#more-794

but i cant seem to find the BCM on this 95 Pontiac firebird V6, The Key has a Chip in it if this helps at all, i was reading somewhere, that if you don't have a chip on your key then you don't have a BCM??

EDIT2: I found a Box infront of the blower right behind the glove compartment, the issue is, the box is metal, with a plastic holder, the clips are YELLOW*** im not sure if this is an airbag control module, someone please help, it is suppose to rain in a few hours and the drivers side window is still stuck open..

Last edited by Miketike2; 06-20-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:53 PM

BUMP again

Well its too Frekin HOT outside today for me to be on my back in cramped spaces under the dash, my brother and I are going to take out the RAP Module tomorrow and examine it, ive checked around the glovebox and just don't see a BCM.

PS: before i actually go to the RAP, im going to pull the fuse box out, something is telling me to check there first.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Miketike2
Hey guys, i have a 95 Firebird V6, Windows and Radio just cut out on me the other day, the drivers side window has been stuck open the past 3 days, is there a BCM on the 95 firebirds? if there is, is it in the same location near the glove box? a fast reply would be nice, im looking at trying to rip the BCM out within the next 2 hours and examine for loose or broken connections.

Few things to know
Steering Column was replaced, along with the ignition last week..
My Brother stated the radio would turn on and off while driving.
There is an aftermarket radio installed.
Swapped Fuses and they seem to not be the issue.
If i put the key into the ignition, and turn it counter clockwise for i guess the accessory power, nothing happens.

Mike

EDIT:I just was looking around the passanger side where the glove box is, following this tutorial.
http://www.fbodyonline.com/how-to-fi...ocks/#more-794

but i cant seem to find the BCM on this 95 Pontiac firebird V6, The Key has a Chip in it if this helps at all, i was reading somewhere, that if you don't have a chip on your key then you don't have a BCM??

EDIT2: I found a Box infront of the blower right behind the glove compartment, the issue is, the box is metal, with a plastic holder, the clips are YELLOW*** im not sure if this is an airbag control module, someone please help, it is suppose to rain in a few hours and the drivers side window is still stuck open..

Sounds like the same problem my 95 Z28 did. I replaced the RAP module and never did it again.

What usually would make my RAP work before I replaced it was to give it a smack and hold the window button up/down whichever way I needed.

Last edited by Camaroz; 06-20-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: window radio problem very weird