General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

weak parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weak parking brake

My parking brake is worn feeling, like the cable is stretched and worn. I pulled off the console and looked around. The cable doesn't seem to be be worn, and the spring seems to be good but I'm not 100% sure. The brake still does it's job, but is barely strong enough while on steep hills and alot looser compared to other cars I've driven. What typically causes this? thanks

Jason
Old 08-27-2005, 04:30 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could just be because it needs adjustment after normal wear

"When the park brake system is applied, the effort with which the brake lever is moved is transmitted by the cables to the brake levers which force the rear brake shoes outward against the inner rotor surface. As the brake shoe lining wears, the park brake system must be manually adjusted to prevent excessive hand lever travel."

Park Brake Shoe Adjustment

Important: Do not operate the park brake lever while the rotor is removed.

1. Remove the rear tires and wheels.
2. Disconnect the rear cable from the brake shoe lever.
3. Pull on the lever until there is a firm stop. Release the lever and measure free lever travel at the cable interface. If the travel is less than 10 mm, adjustment is complete. If the travel is more than 10 mm, further adjust brake shoe.
4. Remove the brake rotor.
5. Rotate the adjustment nut with a screwdriver in order to extend the slotted tappet in order to increase the gap between the adjuster nut and the screw by .38 mm.
6. Install the rotor onto the axle mounting flange. Ensure that the rotor is flush against the flange. Use two hand-tightened lugnuts in order to keep the rotor in position.
7. Measure the lever (free) travel per step 2. Repeat the adjuster in order to obtain the ideal 3-8 mm free travel of the brake shoe lever.
8. Check the rotor for drag. The rotor must rotate freely within the stud hole clearance.
9. Install rear tires and wheels.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ACW
Could just be because it needs adjustment after normal wear

"When the park brake system is applied, the effort with which the brake lever is moved is transmitted by the cables to the brake levers which force the rear brake shoes outward against the inner rotor surface. As the brake shoe lining wears, the park brake system must be manually adjusted to prevent excessive hand lever travel."

Park Brake Shoe Adjustment

Important: Do not operate the park brake lever while the rotor is removed.

1. Remove the rear tires and wheels.
2. Disconnect the rear cable from the brake shoe lever.
3. Pull on the lever until there is a firm stop. Release the lever and measure free lever travel at the cable interface. If the travel is less than 10 mm, adjustment is complete. If the travel is more than 10 mm, further adjust brake shoe.
4. Remove the brake rotor.
5. Rotate the adjustment nut with a screwdriver in order to extend the slotted tappet in order to increase the gap between the adjuster nut and the screw by .38 mm.
6. Install the rotor onto the axle mounting flange. Ensure that the rotor is flush against the flange. Use two hand-tightened lugnuts in order to keep the rotor in position.
7. Measure the lever (free) travel per step 2. Repeat the adjuster in order to obtain the ideal 3-8 mm free travel of the brake shoe lever.
8. Check the rotor for drag. The rotor must rotate freely within the stud hole clearance.
9. Install rear tires and wheels.
****, I think I'll just take it to the dealer.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:05 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
****, I think I'll just take it to the dealer.
Well, that's always an option of course Most people who post here are probably trying to avoid having to do that, though
Old 08-28-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the help. When I get home I'll adjust it. Sounds fairly easy to me really.

Jason
Old 08-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Import Patrol

man save your money and do it yourself and learn a few things