General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

man, i just need to vent (scratched plastic)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default man, i just need to vent

so i just got my ta back from the shop, it needed a new knock sensor and plugs, she runs great! that's a good thing.

however, the amp went out in the car a while back and i needed to take it out and rerun all the speaker wire straight off of the head unit. so i ask a buddy to help out, the only reason i asked him is because he knows aftermarket stereos very well, or so i thought, and i really dont.

but lately he has been being a pretty big *******, because he just bought a 2002 rsx type s and is just trashing on my T/A every chance he gets, saying, " I dont know why anyone would want to buy an F-body, it's a redneck car, everybody has one, this and that........" but i let that slide, i just figured he is jelous because my redneck ls1 fbody, absolutly raped his *** when i raced him.

but what really pissed me off is that when he rewired the stereo he was not careful at all, he put scratches on the plastic around the speakers, (which i think he might have done on purpose), the freakin drivers side speakers just stopped working, so i guess that's just a bad wiring job, so ill have to fix that now.

i think the fact that he scratched the plastic is what pissed me off the most, I would never do that to someone elses car even if i hated the guy, you dont mess with someone elses car, you just dont. I even told him to be careful and slow down quite a few times, and then when i told him about it, he was just like, oh, oops, my bad dude. im just freakin pissed, because i have helped him out on many occasions.

do you guys know of anything that car help fix the scratches on the plastic?? probably not, but i figured i might as well ask.....

like i said, i just wanted to vent a little bit, i just dont understand why someone would do that to someone elses car, and considering he was a supposed friend too.....

Last edited by ACW; 08-30-2005 at 12:54 AM. Reason: adding paragraph breaks
Old 08-29-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sue him...then go and find a junkyard f-body and take the plastic panels out of it.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look around online, i know there are places that sell those panels. I used to have a link for it, but no longer do, just look around and you'll find something
Old 08-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Teching In

If you TRULY think he did it on purpose, it's time to find some new friends!! And then...
Old 08-29-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are also companies like COLORMATE that can repair that plastic. go to any car dealership and the body shop or used car department can give you a number to someone who can repair it all and make it look new.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

They're listed on ebay from time to time.

" I dont know why anyone would want to buy an F-body"

That's funny, I'm usually thinking "Why would anybody buy a ricer"
1. They don't look better
2. They're not faster
3. They're not cheaper
4. once they've modded the hell out of it, they get worse milage than a stock Fbody (and are still slower)
Old 08-29-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Just punch him in the face
Old 08-29-2005, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

LOL i was gonna say that, but you beat me to it!!
Old 08-29-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

You can always try a kick too if you want to be more like a ninja ...
Old 08-29-2005, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Luna
I'll agree with Luna.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

You can always try a kick too if you want to be more like a ninja ...
Old 08-29-2005, 04:39 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

**** yes
Old 08-29-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would'nt say I was a redneck by any means but I'd rather be a redneck than some ricer,even If I was a redneck I wouldnt mind, I would give him an all american redneck SmaknaSS wippin.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Teching In

I dont understand why he would say "everyone has one"?
Im the only one in my town that has one.About 30,000+ people.
Theres a shitload of mustangs and ricers!
ANYWAY...KICK HIS ***!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

My inside panels got scratched by the dealer. They installed a clear paint or something over both my door panels. It scratched really easily/bad over the following year. So, I said WTF and tried GOO BE GONE a little at a time on a soft cloth. What ended up happening is it took off the clear paint they applied and slightly blended the plastic panel. It looked like new. You want to wipe it on and right off with another water damped cloth.

It has been 7 years now and still looks like new. I did use a product called crystal guard on it to protect it again about a year ago to bring the luster back. It looks better than it ever did.

There is a risk involved here but, if your planning on getting junkyard inside panels it is worth the try. You might be amazed as I was.

If it is just a short scratch you can hide it by melting the plastic CAREFULLY with a butane lighter. I have done this as well however, I like how the above process came out better. It is more consistant and less risky. Read in - more control over process and less likely to catch the plastic on fire. However, it can be done if done very carefully ..... and a little at a time.

If you have cuts in the plastic however, the only thing that works is replacement, unfortunately.

Last edited by Mecinoid; 08-30-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a black dirtbike, and like my plastic looking good. At the local shop, they've got a renew kit for plastic that yo uslightly scuff it, and then use the it and it puts a new clear type thing on it, makes it like new.. Then i use this turtle wax protector, in a green bottle, its kinda like armor-all but not so greasy. that works great. Keeps it from fading too.
olly