General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key Fob will not unlock Passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob will not unlock Passenger door

any ideas? It will lock both doors but will not unlock the passenger side. The button on the driver door will not unlock the passenger side, but it will lock it. I think the button the on the passenger side will both lock and unlock that side, not 100% sure though. Thanks for any help or ideas.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Press it twice, quickly.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like pressing the button twice quickly won't do it (but I would still try it). I have the same problem on mine and I haven't figured it out. I believe that what is happening is that the mechanism inside needs to be greased because the lock does not slide smoothly. Also, it is very hard to turn the keylock. Have you tried to put any kind of lubrication in the keylock?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you guys try the door unlock mod? It makes both doors unlock at the same time when you press the unlock on the fob.
The reason I say this is the BCM is what controls your alarm functions and door lock motor commands. It may be malfunctioning when you do the double hit on the fob. The mod patches both doors to the driver door unlock output pulse. do a search on it. Very easy to do, and you'll never have to hit that thing twice again.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

WillR,
Off subject but I'm curious.....
I just put Hawk pads on mine about 1000 miles ago and no squeaks. I also put them on my Durango and they are squeaky.... I also put the same brand of drilled and slotted rotors on both cars.... One squeaks, one doesn't....What gives!!?? I did the brakes myself and greased the hell out of the slider pins and put disk quiet on the back of the pads for both vehicles. I don't know why one set squeaks and the other doesn't..... Did yours squeak right away or did it start later?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:42 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkichline
Sounds like pressing the button twice quickly won't do it (but I would still try it). I have the same problem on mine and I haven't figured it out. I believe that what is happening is that the mechanism inside needs to be greased because the lock does not slide smoothly. Also, it is very hard to turn the keylock. Have you tried to put any kind of lubrication in the keylock?
Yeah, he said the interior controls don't make it unlock either. Perhaps the door lock actuator needs cleaning/lubricating/repair/replacement.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Teching In

No luck with pressing the button twice, use to work that way but no longer. I have not tried lubing the locking mech, Ill have to try that.

jkichline, The squeeking did not start right away, but shortly after I installed them, I would say within the next few days. The thing is, they aren't squeeky all the time. One day they are as quiet as a mouse, the next you cant touch them without them squeeking. Im fixing to lower the car in the next couple of months, Im going to replace the fronts with different pads I got from PEPboys, I think they are Durastop Quietstops (not sure if that is correct), hopefully this will cure the squeeking.