General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
View Poll Results: change out your own spark plugs or take them somwher to get changed?
Change them out your self
86.04%
Take them to a mechanic
13.96%
Voters: 831. You may not vote on this poll

Change your own spark plugs or take it to get serviced??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed my plugs again and it took me about 10 minutes for the drivers side(i was being carefull so I didn't tear my wires), the right side was about 20 minutes because I didn't take the coils off( I didn't remember that I had left the last coil bolt out) and I couldn't get my hand back there.A friend of mine helped me get the plug out from the top. I think that a small flex head rachet would have worked better for me. I don't mind doing plugs at all now. Now that taking the coils cuts the time in half, and those taylor wire snap freaking tight!@!@!
Old 06-04-2007, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

the right side was about 20 minutes because I didn't take the coils off
On mine you can't get anything back there with the coils/AIR on...

I just did my first plug swap on this car--thanks for all the tips guys. Only took about 4 hours...(although that did include removing the stock air intake, cleaning the TB and various kid interruptions...). Removing the boots was worse than removing the plugs....the entire passenger side was stubborn as hell...#8 wasn't bad once I got the ratchet on...which was a PITA.

I will say having a flex head and/or indexable ratchet really helps...I can definately see how headers would help bigtime..

Thanks for all the tips guys...
Old 06-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Default $50-$75

I was quoted for a sparkplug change. Cannot pass that up, especially since it is a place that deals w/ a lot of LS1's!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ thats where they take your plugs....and pull some out of the garbage...show them to you and say those came out of your car....

please jesus let this thread die....
Old 06-05-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

Do it yourself, spend the money you save on some new Denso before cat O2 sensors and MSD wires, start all of the plugs buy hand ,and use some anti seize , a inch or so of 3/8 fuel line works great as a handle just stick the plug in it and wallah , I put the car on jack stands and remove the O2 sensor under #8, about 1 hour.

Quick Reply: Change your own spark plugs or take it to get serviced??