General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Belt Noise?

Grrr I'm getting irritated with all these damn sounds my car makes. I pull into my driveway just now and before I turn off my car I hear a horrible squeaking noise. It's coming from my engine bay, sounds like the belt. The belt is only a couple months old so I don't think it's bad or anything. It has been storming bad off and on the past couple days, do you think maybe it just got wet or something?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Lightbulb

I don't know how much this will help but I had the same problem a few weeks ago with my car after a heavy rain and driving through some water. I traced the noise down to the big pulley on the driver side up top( can't recall the exact name at this time). Anyway where the pulley rotates I sprayed it down with some liquid silicon now I had to do it a couple of times( and used half the can also) but after 2-3 days the noise did stop. Sorry that I can't give you a sure fire solution but it did work and the silicon is only a couple of dollars and can be found at any Lowes, Home Depot, or auto parts store. Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DarkOneX
Grrr I'm getting irritated with all these damn sounds my car makes. I pull into my driveway just now and before I turn off my car I hear a horrible squeaking noise. It's coming from my engine bay, sounds like the belt. The belt is only a couple months old so I don't think it's bad or anything.
A Serpentine belt usually never makes noise. Do yourself a favor and replace both the idler pulley and tensioner assembly including its' pulley. Squirting any kind of fluid on them is only a temporary bandaid for the real problem - the pulleys!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

well if you were running the defogger or AC it could just have been the AC belt slipping. Most people forget to change the AC belt when they change the main belt.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Question

Originally Posted by Sebring 00
A Serpentine belt usually never makes noise. Do yourself a favor and replace both the idler pulley and tensioner assembly including its' pulley. Squirting any kind of fluid on them is only a temporary bandaid for the real problem - the pulleys!
How much would that cost, and where should I get them? What brands are good? Do they make complete packages or do I have to buy them separate? Could you point me in the right direction please?

Today I sprayed WD40 on my serpentine belt before going back to work for lunch and it made the noise go away. Well when I left work just now, when I fired her up, the noise was 5 times as loud as it ever has been, sounded horrible! I got out and sprayed WD40 on that top big pulley only which I believe is the idler pulley, correct me if I'm wrong, and the sound instantly went away. If it's only the idler pulley can I just replace that? It appears that would only cost like $10-$20 from what I'm finding on Google and Autozone.com.

Please advise.

Last edited by DarkOneX; 09-30-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Isn't there a bulletin regarding this problem? I could have sworn there was, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

What's odd is ever since that one episode last Friday with the very loud squeaking when I sprayed WD40 on the back of the idler pulley, it's been completely silent now, no more squeaking at all. Watch, now that I've said that, tomorrow it will go back to squeaking.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget another problem - there's a weap hole on the waterpump that leaks onto your belt to signal that your waterpump is going bad. Take an inspection mirror and a flashlight, and look for the weaphole. If it's wet or signs of leaking, then that sucks because the part was $400 from the dealer (something like $615 if they install it)

Could also be a bad alternator bearing. I've eatten up quite a few alternators ...

Last edited by mike3605; 10-10-2005 at 06:49 AM.