General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Knocking!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking!?!

When i roll around at lower speeds 0-40 i hear a knocking sound...but when im sitting at an idle i dont hear anything...any suggestions on what that is ? or is that a sign of a rod knocking or getting ready too?
Old 09-17-2005, 01:49 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is your car make, model, year, engine, transmission type?

A knocking sound coming from where? Is it at a constant rate, or does it change with different RPM levels and/or gears? Does your 'lower speeds 0-40' imply that you stop hearing it past a certain speed?
Old 09-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Teching In

Its a 1994 camaro with a 97 ls1 and its got the 4l60e auto tranny...I only hear it at 0-40 but it may be there at higher speeds too but i cant hear it. When i accelerate, it speeds up. Ive only heard it once when i was sitting at an idle...and i revved it up and it sped up and then it stopped. I cant really tell where its coming from because when im stopped it stops but when i go it goes but when i give then engine gas in nuetral or park i dont hear it...and i do notice that sometimes the car sorta trembles a little before a shift...also when its in reverse or drive it sounds like there may be a vaccuum leak somewhere too..Someone told me that it may be piston slap or a torque converter maybe?
Old 09-18-2005, 02:24 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

If it was piston slap, I'd think you'd hear it revving in any gear (i.e. neutral/park too). And from what I've heard, it's less common on the earlier LS1s.

Could be wrong of course, but sounds like it might be some kind of torque converter problem. Have you tried comparing its behavior in D (D4/OD) with how it is in D1/D2/D3?
Old 09-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Teching In

I know its the torque converter now for sure...i got under the car and had someone rev it up for me and its coming right from the torque converter ...the converter even wobbles a tad bit...and im sure that was causing the tremble too...the shop i had do the swap for me didnt even put the cover back over the torque converter...ive got it in the back of my car in the hatch...thanks for helping me out though ..much appretiated
Old 09-18-2005, 10:03 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Glad to help!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:30 PM

Default knocking

2002 Z28 6 spd. i hear a light knocking sometimes when i am at a idle. only at the idle i hear it. someone help