General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Very strange idle coming from car

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Very strange idle coming from car

Well I drove my TA to the gym to work on the guns (or lack thereof), it drove perfectly. Afterwards I came back out and got in the car, started it. It started and then kinda just hovered around 400 rpms (vibrating the shiit out of my car with the lt's). Tried to start it again, same thing.

Tried one more time and it didn't die but kinda danced all around <1000 rpm. And then finally settled at its usually idle speed/rotation.

The car would drive just fine but when I'd take it out of gear or come to a stop the rpm needle would dance all around below 1000 rpm, and finally settle back at it's usual place.
Also on my drive, my SES light was not on (like it usually is), nor was it flashing (it's usually on because I haven't tuned out for my rear o2's and removal of my AIR system).

I got home and checked the oil (hoping to not see "milk") and everything seemed fine, although it wouldn't hurt to add some, but I wasn't anywhere near dangerously low.

Then I checked all the ignition wires and they seemed fine.

BACKGROUND ON MY CAR
-02 M6 TA with 39,000 miles
I put my lt's and ory about two months ago, I also removed the AIR system at this time. I deleted the rear o2's also. I haven't had either turned out yet, but the car has ran fine since. This makes me think it's not a problem with the front o2's.

One problem I did encounter was one of my ignition wire boots was touching one of the header tubes, but I did a quick temp fix with some heavy duty tin foil I have some MSD wires sitting here that I need to put on the car.

I checked all the wires and boots and all seem to be fine.

The weirdest thing about all of it though is that my SES light went off tonight instead of being on like it has been

I read this thread but I'm pretty sure I would notice if I had 3 cylinders misfiring
Old 10-12-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

I had the same problem with a low idle, i cleaned my maf, iac and tb and it seem to have fixed my problem. Might try that, see if that works. That is weird that ses light's always on now its off does it come on when you turn to acessories (sp?)only? maybe ses light burned out lol.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00'WS6Rocket
I had the same problem with a low idle, i cleaned my maf, iac and tb and it seem to have fixed my problem. Might try that, see if that works. That is weird that ses light's always on now its off does it come on when you turn to acessories (sp?)only? maybe ses light burned out lol.
Yea it's on in acc
Right now I'm just waiting for the headers to cool down so I can switch out ignition wires and see how that works
Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Launching!

I just now thought of something but could I use my predator tuner and the diagnostics to see, or is it not that sophisticated to find a problem like this?

If I can then
Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Changed out the wires with the MSD's, except #8, that shiz can wait till morning.

But now it starts up and idles just fine
I drove it around for a little then came back and shut her off then started up again without any problems.

The one boot that was touching the header looked fine also
Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

It's alive!!!!! Well congrats I guess u got it! hope it works fine tomorrow

Last edited by conde'strans; 10-12-2007 at 11:02 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 10-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by conde'strans
It's alive!!!!! Well congrats I guess u got it! hope it works fine tomorrow
Thank you sir
Old 10-14-2007, 03:45 AM
Launching!

try looking for corrosion on the terminals
Old 10-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Today my car had a couple a misfire problem for about 2 blocks (with the ses light flashing) then just smoothed out.

I ran diagnostics on my predator and came up with .............
P0140 bank1 sensor 2 no activity
P0160 bank2 sensor 2 no activity
No biggie, rear 02's

but I did come up with
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire

Strange that I didn't throw an AIR code since I deleted it .............

If I had to guess I probably messed up a plug when I installed the headers (I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't gentle).

I'm gonna try to run a Real Time Data, but I'm pretty sure it's not misfiring all the time, otherwise I think I would notice while driving it