General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

OMFG Has everyone forgotten how to lift these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have before/after pics? I have no idea what you guys are talking about... I guess that's good...
Old 09-26-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

i pushed the fenders on my ranger out jackin it up
Old 09-26-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brandon
If I ever have to goto a tire shop, I drive teh car on the lift, or put the jack where i want it.
I'll even take the friggin wheel off if possible.
i hear ya.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Some cars have that as a lift point, so some places that don't know any better put the jack there. I noticed I had the same thing on the passenger side after I bought the car and drove it back up to NY. Fixed it best I could and tightened it up. Hardly shows now. I always make sure to stay behind to make sure they jack it in the right spot.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those asking for pictures... the door corner, fender, and lower sill panel should all line up. Meaning that if you place a flat object on all three at the same time and it doesn't sit flat... yours are probably bent.

It can go both ways. If the tabs get bent outward (more common) then the fender is pushed outward and then the fender sticks out further than the sill and looks like poop.

If the tab gets bent inward (less common) then the fender can be pulled too tightly inward and the fender gets tucked in compared to the sill, leaving the sill edge there to catch chips.

There's a high chance if your tabs get bent over to near flat, that the fender will split. If I caught a shop having done this and splitting my fenders - I would not stop short of having brand new GM fenders put on and finished to match, which is about $700 a fender using GM parts.

But, if yours have been bent before and you are pretty forgiving, you can usually bend them back pretty easily. Just pay real close attention and make sure the tabs are not cracked or split. Once that tab is broken... you are pretty much hosed unless you are willing to do some fab work.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car looks like it was in a front end collision because my fenders fit so poorly because of this. But I am scared to mess with it because I definately don't want them to crack.

But then again I won't even tell you how the shop that did that also kept my locking lug key and didn't lube the oil filter when they put it on.