General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad squeak/creak from rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Bad squeak/creak from rear

I have a bad squeek/creek coming from the rear of the car whenever the suspension gets compressed (speedbumps, driveways, acceleration, dips in the road). Based on searching the forums the common causes for this seem to be either the rear sway bar bushings, or LCA bushings. I know that there are no grease fittings anywhere (stock suspension), so my question is what can I use to lube up these areas. Silicon lubricant? Lithium Grease?
Thanks for any input
Old 10-02-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your exhaust hanger. I had a thread on here about a squeaking sound that I had for almost 3 months. Check the hanger on your catback that is rubber, and looks like a metal tab from the exhaust pipe is hanging in it. Lube it up good and go for a drive, if it doesnt work, than thats one thing eliminated. On my stock bushings, I use silicone lubricant, but I heard that white lithium grease is also a good choice. Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

TTT

zfastss: Can you be a little more descriptive on where thiss ound is coming from (which side), or when it occurs?

I have also recently (past 2wks) developed an annoying squeek sound from the rear... especially when entering right hand turns, going over speed bumps, or under hard acceleration (off the line, for example). The sound comes from the rear right side, but has recently *Moved* over to the left now. So now both sides are squeeking like nuts and its pissing me off. I think it may be the hatch or some interior piece...

Any luck with your situation?
Old 10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

jinxedz: (thanks for the bump up)
I haven't gotten a chance to lube things up yet, so the squeek is still there . Mine seemed to start on the driver's side rear and then spread to the other side. As I said before, now it happens under hard cornering, hard acceleration, hard braking, speedbumps, dips, driveways. I first noticed it one day going into a driveway at my usual 45* angle (to avoid scraping). It is definately something in the rear suspension as opposed to an interior piece in the hatch area. If I "bounce" the car up and down in the rear it will make the noise. To me it doesn't really sound like a metal/metal squeek, but more of a creek indicating some kind of rubber/metal or plastic/metal issue. It's also definately not from one of the exhaust hangers either. I've had it for about a month now and it's getting really annoying to me too

Any one else have similar problems or proven fixes?
Old 10-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Banned

i have the same problem on my car but i have spots on my lcas to lube em up which lube should i get to lube them?>
Old 10-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Banned

i had a similar problem that was making me mad, so i devoted a couple hours to trial and error over the course of a couple weeks i was able to get the problem solved, it was my hanger for my GMMG.

i would reccommend buying a couple cans of lithium grease and going step by step, driving it around, if it persists, try a new place.

look at LCA's, Sway Bar Bushing, all exhaust hanger areas, heat shield area

at least that's how i solved mine.

good luck
Old 10-07-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

try lubing the exhaust hangers. dont say it isnt them if you havent tried lubing anything. also, lube you lca's and sway bar bushings. If the squeak is still there, post up. But try lubing those things first, and please dont say its not the exhaust hanger, because I did the same thing and it ended up being the hanger.