General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

jerking at low RPMs, stubborn O2 problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensor "Insufficient"?

Ite, well i've had this problem with my 99 WS-6 for some time now. It started "jerking" at low RPMs (or at the start of each new gear). It's weird, almost like it's not getting enough fuel to the engine. Almost like a misfire, but only at low RPMs.

I took it into a mechanic and he pulled up on the computer a message that read "Driver side O2 sensor insufficient". He told me to check it when i get home because the O2 has probably been melted or damaged b\c of the heat from the headers somehow. Well when i got home, i jacked it up, and checked. Turned out the O2 SENSOR ITSELF looked fine. Though the 24" extension did have a section melted off. Not the wires, just that outer plastic looking covering.

So i replaced the sensor and wrapped the crap out of it with exhaust shielding wrap. The kind you wrap your headers in. Except i wrapped the extension in it.

Everything seemed to be working fine, until the car started to warm up. It's almost like it works fine when everything is cold but once the engine and everything else starts heating up, it does the little "push" "pull" routine.

Could it be that my actual O2 SENSOR is damaged? Not the extension?

Could this also be a completely different problem like spark plugs or spark plug wires? Cause i'm replacing the wires this weekend but i'd like to know if maybe it's my plugs. Thank you.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this happened to me, embarrisingly enough i found the #8 plug wire was slightly off ... right now i have 2 o2 sensors out (running horribly) and no jerking... learn from me and check all the stupid stuff first
Old 10-14-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks man.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?

Do you think it's my spark plugs/wires or the actual O2 SENSOR itself?
Old 10-14-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the 02 sensor and the extension. Insufficient switching is a sure sign of a bad 02 sensor. Check the plug wires while you're at it.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you know the exact code it was throwing? I could just be the o2s not switching fast enough at idle, which is a common problem with lts, myself icluded. Get someone with a scanner to monitor your o2 switching if possible. Spark plugs are cheap, and I have had misfire problems that sounded similar to your situation, that turned out to be my plugs.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

I'm getting new plug wires installed 2morrow. If that doesn't fix it, i'm going to replace the O2 SENSOR and the plugs. If that doesn't fix it, i'm throwing my car out the window.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vrbas
If that doesn't fix it, i'm throwing my car out the window.
I know that feeling! haha hang in there man stuff will go wrong with cars, fact of life
Old 10-15-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Silas2k
I know that feeling! haha hang in there man stuff will go wrong with cars, fact of life
Yea, i'm just getting pretty ticked. I've been trying to locate the problem for weeks now. It's really annoying

If it's not the spark plugs/wires and it's not the actual O2 sensor, then what would it be?
Old 10-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Banned

if the 02 sensor is bad it will jerk ....CHANGE IT.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Teching In

i have a 2000 SS....i had 2 02 sensors codes go off on me, so i replace all 4 thinkn the other 2 are not far behind, 4 new ones from gm 125 apiece...ridiculous...thought i was home free till about 30 minutes driving my car home, code pops up again...i dont have a clue, took it to gm, they said i had same problem i had b/f, and i told em i replaced all sensors 2 days ago.. im complety confusd...will a bad plug or plug wire/wires throw off the o2 sensors???ive owned a 97 lt1 before too and also had o2 sensor problems whats tha deal??ive never heard of my buddies with GT's or Cobras having this problem...
Old 10-16-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Default jerking at low RPMs, stubborn O2 problems

This is really freakin' annoying. Here's the situation...

Ite, well i've had this problem with my 99 WS-6 for some time now. It started "jerking" at low RPMs (or at the start of each new gear). It's weird, almost like it's not getting enough fuel to the engine. Almost like a misfire, but only at low RPMs.

I took it into a mechanic and he pulled up on the computer a message that read "Driver side O2 sensor insufficient". He told me to check it when i get home because the O2 has probably been melted or damaged b\c of the heat from the headers somehow. Well when i got home, i jacked it up, and checked. Turned out the O2 SENSOR ITSELF looked fine. Though the 24" extension did have a section melted off. Not the wires, just that outer plastic looking covering.

So i replaced the extension and wrapped the crap out of it with exhaust shielding wrap. The kind you wrap your headers in. Except i wrapped the extension in it.

Everything seemed to be working fine, until the car started to warm up. It's almost like it works fine when everything is cold but once the engine and everything else starts heating up, it does the little "push" "pull" routine.

So, i decided "Well, it's not the extension. It's gotta be the actual SENSOR" So i replaced it(the one that plugs into the headers at the collectors). Freakin' $70!!! Still didn't fix the problem.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with my car? It's REALLY starting to get annoying. I can tell i'm losing power and it shakes like a murf once then engine heats up. I don't even know what the problem is. It's been like this for 2 weeks now. I really want to at least LOCATE where the actual problem is. I'm now starting to think it's the spark plugs or the wires. If it's not, then might it be the O2 sensor up by the engine? Or is my car just jacked b\c i'm spending a fortune trying to fix this car and nothing is working.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

I melted some wires together on my passanger side from my headers and it caused what sounds like the same exact problem you have. My car would pull very violently and then stalled on the freeway. Eventually I found the melt spot and respliced some new wires and tucked the bundle behind some lines away from the headers. You need to look at your wires VERY closely. They could be shorting each other if they are stuck together.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2formulas
I melted some wires together on my passanger side from my headers and it caused what sounds like the same exact problem you have. My car would pull very violently and then stalled on the freeway. Eventually I found the melt spot and respliced some new wires and tucked the bundle behind some lines away from the headers. You need to look at your wires VERY closely. They could be shorting each other if they are stuck together.
I've replaced EVERYTHING that has to do with O2 on the driver's side. It's really annoying, i've replaced the O2 extension, i've wrapped it in heat resistant wrap, i've replaced the O2 sensor (the one that plugs into the headers at the collectors). Soon enough i'm going to change the spark plugs because heck, i might has well! I just want to figure out what the heck the problem is. It's REALLY getting annoying when you've been looking for over 2 weeks and dishing money out to only find that you have YET to even LOCATE the problem, much less fix it.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:55 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same code and it ended up being an exhaust leak by the cat was causing it.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

You may have broken the ceramic insulator on one or more of the plugs when you installed the headers, but it should give a missfire code and not the O2 code.
Here's a crazy thought, could you have put the wrong extension on the wrong side, ie connected the passenger side wires to the drivers side, and vice versa, (is that even possible?) since you replaced the DS O2, and didn't notice a difference, you might check and see if it's all plugged in correctly
Old 10-16-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
You may have broken the ceramic insulator on one or more of the plugs when you installed the headers, but it should give a missfire code and not the O2 code.
Here's a crazy thought, could you have put the wrong extension on the wrong side, ie connected the passenger side wires to the drivers side, and vice versa, (is that even possible?) since you replaced the DS O2, and didn't notice a difference, you might check and see if it's all plugged in correctly
How would i know? I mean which is which?
Old 10-16-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Just switch the connections from one sensor to the other.
I don't know if it's even possible to do this, so use your own judgement, don't be yanking on the wires to make them fit
Old 10-16-2005, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

maybe you cooked the new wire set also??
Old 10-16-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

id this happen after the headers? or did it develop over time..maybe your just running insanely rich on the low end...which is making the car shake and such.