General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

headlights make grinding noise when I shut them down

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights make grinding noise when I shut them down

Hey guys,
I was just wondering - what causes this? It is a tad embarrassing and my wife & best friend make fun of me for it. I arm the alarm, the lights go up and then "BADADADADADADADADADADAA" for like 5 seconds after. Is there a way to fix this?
Old 10-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Launching!

i was at kroger when my car started doing that. i parked and turned the car off, then i hear that nasty noise you described. some people turned around and looked. yea, it's pretty embarassing, but i knew exactly what it was because i've read about it before.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/#FreeGuide

follow the free guide there. you wont need to pull the motor aseembly out. this is the steap you need to do carefully, it's what turns the gear 1/2 way to the good side thats not worn off.

4. With the nut removed, pull the raise/lower arm off the motor shaft. You may need to use something like "Liquid Wrench" and let it soak for a few minutes because the raise/lower arm sometimes rusts to the shaft. Note: This will be easier if you have somebody to help you hold the headlight up because it will not stay up by itself once this arm is pulled off the shaft You'll notice that the shaft is not perfectly round. It has two flat spots. You need to look at how these flat spots on the shaft are situated... one of the flat areas should be approx. facing the front of the car and the other towards the rear.

This next part is important! You now need to, while CLOSELY watching the motor shaft, rotate the raise/lower manual **** so the motor shaft turns exactly 180 degrees (or half a revolution). Once you have completed this, reattach the headlight raise lower arm. What you have just done is made it so the actual motor gear will now be in contact with the *other* half of the plastic gear. Sure, the teeth on the plastic gear are stripped, but they are stripped on the now unused side of the gear
My car had about 52k miles when it did it, what about you? I would also go ahead and do both headlights because my other one failed like 1500 miles after the first one.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the link My car has about 100k on it.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a sticky in the Firebird/Trans Am forum.........https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/177470-firebird-headlights-all-comments-questions-regarding-headlights-go-here.html
Old 10-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Thats crazy. I have 52,000 miles exactly and mine just did it for the first time tonight.