General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

getting into the steering column area?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting into the steering column area?

My car doesnt start sometimes and it was not the starter or the ingnition switch but the part where when you turn your key, it pushes a rod into and trips a switch that completes the circuit to start the car. Anyways, I wanted to know how to change this part out. It is inside the steering column after the ignition key switch (if you were sitting in the drivers seat looking at your gauges). Does anyone know how to get in there and replace that part? It has a big plug that will connect to the bottom of it.

What ever happend to old cars and being able to just pop the cover off the steering column and going to work?

Thanks for any help given
Robert
Old 10-21-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

has anyone worked on their steering column?
Old 10-22-2005, 02:29 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly, let's confirm what car model/year is this?
Sounds like you might be talking about the Ignition Switch Rod Actuator Assembly?

Once I know for sure what vehicle to use, I can post some instructions for "Ignition Switch Replacement" that includes removing/installing the rod actuator
Old 10-22-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

its a 99 Z28. Thanks, and that sounds like the part.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:35 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Ignition Switch Replacement - On Vehicle

(the numbers in parentheses refer to attached diagram)

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the left-hand instrument panel insulator. Refer to Insulator Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.
2. Remove the instrument panel driver knee bolster and deflector. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.
3. Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in Supplemental Inflatable Restraint System.
4. Ensure that the following components are in the LOCK position:
- The steering column lock
- The ignition cylinder
5. Remove the steering column upper support nuts from the steering column support. Refer to Steering Column Replacement .
6. Remove the steering column dash cover bolts.
7. Remove the lower column (8).
8. Remove the brake switches.
9. Remove the electrical connectors from the dimmer switch (5).
10. Remove the electrical connectors from the ignition switch (7).
11. Remove the bolts/screws (4).
12. Remove the dimmer switch (5).
13. Remove the bolt/screw (6).
14. Disconnect the ignition switch actuator rod (2).
15. Remove the ignition switch (7).
16. Remove the automatic transmission park lock cable, if equipped.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the automatic park lock cable, if equipped.
2. Complete the following steps in order to ensure that the ignition switch is in the LOCK position:
- Move the switch slider to the extreme right position.
- Move the slider one detent to the left.
3. Ensure that the following components are in the LOCK position:
- The steering column lock
- The ignition cylinder
4. Install the ignition switch (7) to the jacket (1).
5. Install the ignition switch actuator rod (3) to the ignition switch.
6. Install the bolt/screw (6). Tighten the bolt/screw (6) to 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).
7. Position the dimmer switch (5) to the ignition switch (7).
8. Install the bolts/screws.
9. Complete the following procedures in order to adjust the dimmer switch:
- Press the switch mechanism slightly in order to insert the 3/32-inch drill bit.
- Move the dimmer switch in order to remove the lash. Tighten the bolts/screws to 4 N·m (35 lb in).
10. Install the electrical connectors to the dimmer switch (5) and the ignition switch (7).
11. Install and adjust the parking brake switches.
12. Raise the column.
13. Install the steering column upper support nuts to the steering column support. Refer to Steering Column Replacement .
14. Install the steering column dash cover bolts.
15. Enable the SIR. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in Supplemental Inflatable Restraint System.
16. Install the instrument panel driver knee bolster and deflector. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, gages and Console.
17. Install the left-hand instrument panel insulator. Refer to Insulator Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.

Insulator Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Left Side

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the I/P retainers.
2. Unhook the flange on the I/P insulator from the side kick panel.
3. Detach the tab on the I/P insulator from the retainer on the I/P.
4. Remove the I/P insulator from the I/P.

Installation Procedure

1. Attach the tab on the insulator to the I/P.
2. Hook the flange on the insulator to the side kick panel.
3. Install the I/P insulator to the I/P.
4. Install the I/P insulator retainer.

Knee Bolster Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the rear compartment lid release switch, if equipped.
2. Remove the I/P knee bolster bolts.
3. Remove the I/P driver knee bolster.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the I/P driver knee bolster.
2. Install the I/P knee bolster bolts. Tighten the I/P knee bolster bolts to 1.9 N·m (17 lb in).
3. Install the rear compartment lid release switch, if equipped.

Insulator Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Right Side

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the I/P retainer from the boss on the heater and air conditioning module.
2. Remove the retainers from the insulator.
3. Detach the forward flange on the insulator from the boss on the HVAC module.
4. Unhook the flange on the insulator from under the side kick panel.
5. Remove the insulator from the I/P carrier.

Installation Procedure

1. Hook the flange on the instrument panel I/P insulator over the side kick panel.
2. Attach the forward flange on the insulator to the boss on the HVAC module.
3. Install the insulator to the I/P carrier.
4. Install the retainer to the insulator.
5. Install the retainer to the boss on the HVAC module.
Attached Thumbnails getting into the steering column area?-ignition-switch-components.gif  
Old 10-23-2005, 01:48 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Disabling the SIR System

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
3. Remove the key from the ignition switch.
4. Remove the IP fuse block access door.
Important: With the AIR BAG Fuse removed and the ignition switch in the RUN position, The AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.
5. Remove the AIR BAG Fuse from the IP fuse block.
6. Remove the left instrument panel insulator. Refer to Insulator Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
7. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the driver yellow 2-way connector (C218) located at the base of the steering column.
8. Disconnect the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.
9. Remove the right instrument panel insulator. Refer to Insulator Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
10. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the passenger yellow 2-way connector (C219) located behind the IP compartment door.
11. Disconnect the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the IP compartment door.

Enabling the SIR System

1. Remove the key from the ignition switch.
2. Connect the passenger yellow 2-way connector (C219) located behind the IP compartment door.
3. Install the connector position assurance (CPA) to the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the IP compartment door.
4. Install the right instrument panel insulator. Refer to Insulator Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
5. Connect the driver yellow 2-way connector (C218) located at the base of the steering column.
6. Install the connector position assurance (CPA) to the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.
7. Install the left instrument panel insulator. Refer to Insulator Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
8. Install the AIR BAG fuse in the IP fuse block.
9. Install the IP fuse block access door.
10. Staying well away from both air bags, turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
- The AIR BAG warning lamp will flash seven times.
- The AIR BAG warning lamp will then turn OFF.
11. Perform the SIR Diagnostic System Check if the AIR BAG warning lamp does not operate as described.

Steering Column Replacement
(includes some steps not needed for your particular question, but I'm leaving it all in here for future reference)

Removal Procedure

Notice: The vehicle's wheels must be in a straight-ahead position and the key must be in a LOCK position when removing or installing the steering column. Failure to do so may cause the SIR coil assembly to become uncentered and may result in unneeded SIR system repairs.

Notice: When the steering column is removed from the vehicle, it is extremely susceptible to damage. Dropping the column on its end could collapse the steering shaft or loosen plastic injections that keep the column rigid. Leaning on the column could cause steering column jacket to bend or deform. Any of the above conditions could impair column assembly's collapsible design. If the steering wheel must be removed, use only the specified steering wheel puller and steering wheel puller bolts. Never hammer on the end of the steering shaft because hammering could loosen plastic injections that keep the column right.

1. Remove the left instrument panel insulator.
2. Remove the instrument panel driver knee bolster and deflector.
3. Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
4. Remove the steering wheel, if the column is to be replaced. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
5. Remove the intermediate steering shaft bolt/screw from the steering gear coupling shaft and column.
6. Remove the bolts/screws that attach the cover to the dash panel.
7. Remove the cover from the dash panel.
8. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
9. Remove the nuts and shims from the steering column support.
10. Remove the automatic transmission park lock cable from the ignition switch, if equipped.
11. Remove the column from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Notice: If a service replacement steering column is being installed, do not remove the antirotation pin until after the column has been connected to the steering gear. Removing the antirotation pin before the column is connected to the steering gear may damage the SIR coil.

1. Position the column into the vehicle.
2. Install the automatic transmission park lock cable to the ignition switch, if equipped.
3. Install the shims and the nuts to the steering column support. Tighten the nuts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).
4. Install the intermediate steering shaft bolt/screw to the steering gear coupling shaft.
5. Install the cover to the dash. Install the bolt/screws in the following order: [see attached diagram]
- Install the lower (3) bolt/screw.
- Install the outboard (4) bolt/screw.
- Install the inboard (2) bolt/screw.
6. Position the cover to the dash panel.
7. Connect the electrical connectors.
8. Install the bolts/screws. Tighten the bolts/screws to 18 N·m (14 lb ft).
9. Install the steering wheel, if column is replaced. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
10. Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.
11. Install the instrument panel driver knee bolster and deflector.
12. Install the left instrument panel insulator.
Attached Thumbnails getting into the steering column area?-steering-column-cover-screws.gif  
Old 10-23-2005, 04:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the help. Just off curiosity, why does it talk about removing dimmer switches and brake switches in the steering column?
Old 10-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Teching In

ACW: Thanks, Great write up. I am having the same issue. I first replaced the ignition switch and then I got the rod out and saw that it was broken. I used metal glue to try to fix it, but buttoned her all back up and it broke again. By chance do you know where i can find just the rod for purchase?

Quick Reply: getting into the steering column area?