General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaky intake manifold -- did I fix it??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky intake manifold--did I fix it????

Well I've been tracking down an oil leak for sometime. I've resealed the dipstick tube, replaced valve cover and gasket, and now resealed intake manifold. Each time the oil leak gets a little less. After the intake repair, I let it run for a good 15 mins to let the oil get hot. There was still oil drips on the floor! I put down cardboard to distinguish new from old, btw. This was the least it had ever been, about 4 droplets the size of a pencil eraser. I shut it off and let it set for another 20 mins and I went back out and it had only dropped one more, about the size of an eraser. In the past, it would really accumulate after shut off. This time not so much. Do I still have a leak? Or perhaps old oil on the block heating up and dripping down? I'm strapped for time and have to go to work and then going out of town tomorrow so since I can't work on it til Friday, I thought I would come here for comments. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Teching In

After putting the intake back on the car with RTV, did you let it sit so the RTV could cure some before running it? Some people say to wait 24 hours before starting it the first time.

Have you checked the rear main seal, and the gaskets/seals in the front cover?

My water pump drive shaft seal was leaking on my car.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

As said above, you are supposed to let the RTV setup for 24 hours before starting the car after installing the intake. After I did my intake leak fix, I still had a few drips for a few days. I chalked it up to old crud on the back of the block, and it stopped completely eventually.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I used the black Permatex and it said to "assemble parts immediately." I let it set about 15 mins before starting. It cured about 25 hours and then I started the car. Hopefully it was just old oil heating up and running down. It is encouraging that ExtinctBird's leak eventually stopped completely. I've been over everything, trust me, trying to track this thing down. It's only on the back, BTW. I already fixed the waterpump drive seal when I swapped optis. I had it up on the rack and could see the oil coming down the back of the block. I hope I got it this time. I will surely find out Friday when I have a chance to change the oil and everything. Thanks guys.