General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cruise Control

Does anyone else's cruse control work half the time? Mine will work sometime and then other times it wont. I have checked the fuse pannel, but no where does it mention the cruse control.
Are they vacume operated or electric, I cant remember.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How fast were you going?? i don't think cruise control will work if you have it at too low of a speed....say 25 or 30. Some cars are like that. But if your at a high speed and it's not working then OBVIOUSLY it's something else. i haven't really had a problem.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to talk to you like a child, but are you sure you're on the right setting when you push the button? gotta ask
Old 11-06-2005, 12:20 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlackBirdWs6Zzz
How fast were you going?? i don't think cruise control will work if you have it at too low of a speed....say 25 or 30. Some cars are like that. But if your at a high speed and it's not working then OBVIOUSLY it's something else. i haven't really had a problem.
Yep, no cruise below 25mph. Seems to be pretty standard. (I wish it went lower, it'd make 20mph school zones a lot easier! )
Old 11-07-2005, 03:26 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by UK-WS6
Actally, cruise will not engage below 27
Must have 27 on the dials first.
Graham
Heh, I see you posted about this a while back. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/360931-lower-cruise-speed.html

The minimum speed is supposed to be 25mph; everything I've seen agrees with that, including the GM service info. (a copy of which has been posted at https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/149932-cruise-control-module.html )

I just did a lot of looking around trying to find anything that says otherwise, to no avail... stuff about other vehicles and cruise control in general, all say 25mph:
http://www.delphi.com/manufacturers/...ontrol/cruise/
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4134470.html
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cruise-control1.htm
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...40/ai_n6234469
http://www.benefitcost.its.dot.gov/i...nt&Query=State
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com...c,38554.0.html
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1700974766

Could be mistaken, but I'm thinking there's just something a little bit 'off' about yours.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

No it is when I am running around 70 or so, but it doesnt really matter what speed. Some times it works some times it doesnt. I know it doesnt work at low speeds, whats the point then. But the switch is in the right place and all. It just wont work sometimes. Not sure why. I am wondering if a switch in the brake pedal is stuck or something.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:03 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bmccrary
I am wondering if a switch in the brake pedal is stuck or something.
That happened to my parents a couple months ago, actually!

Here's an article about how it works: http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...tml?page=2&c=y

And here's instructions for fixing it. This is from 98 Camaro stuff, but it should be similar for 93-97s. See attached diagram for what the numbers in parentheses are.

Stop Lamp Switch / Cruise Release Switch Adjustment

Notice: Proper stoplamp switch adjustment is essential. Improper stoplamp switch adjustment may cause brake drag, heat buildup and excessive brake lining wear.

1. Adjust the cruise control release switch (2) and the stoplamp and Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) switch (3) at the same time.
2. Adjust the cruise control clutch switch (4) or the cruise control clutch anticipate switch (6) after the clutch pedal is installed.
3. Depress the brake or the clutch pedal.
4. Insert the following switches into the pedal with the bracket until the retainers on the switches are fully seated:
- Cruise control release switch (2)
- Stoplamp and TCC switch (3)
- Cruise control clutch switch (4) or cruise control clutch anticipate switch (6)
Important: Apply the proper amount of force to the brake pedal during adjustment.
Too much force may damage the vacuum booster.
Too little force may cause the brakes to drag.
5. Slowly pull the brake or clutch pedal rearward with a force of 222 N (50 lbs) until clicking sounds are no longer heard. At this point, the retainers on the switches will be adjusted.
6. Measure the cruise control release switch (2).
7. Measure the stoplamp and TCC switch (3).
8. The switch contacts should be open at 25.4 mm (1.0 in) or less of pedal travel. The switch contacts should occur at the same time or before the onset of braking. The brake pedal travel can be up to 25.4 mm (1.0 in) before the cruise control system disengages.

Stop Lamp Switch / Cruise Release Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the left side instrument panel insulator.
2. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
3. Remove the following components from the pedal with the bracket (1):
- Cruise control clutch switch (4) or cruise control clutch anticipate switch (6)

Installation Procedure

1. Install the following components to the pedal with the bracket (1):
2. Connect the electrical connectors.
3. Install the left side instrument panel insulator.
4. Adjust the following components. Refer to Stop Lamp Switch Adjustment .

And I'll go ahead and post the System Description info for it here too, with clearer formatting.

Cruise Control System Description

Cruise control is a speed control system that maintains a desired vehicle speed under normal driving conditions. Steep grades may cause variations in the selected speeds.

The cruise control system performs the following functions:
- Cruise
- Coast
- Resume speed
- Accelerate
- Incrementally raise or lower speeds 1.6 km/h (1 mph)

The following components are the primary components of the cruise control system:
- The functional control switches
- The cruise control module
- The vehicle speed sensor
- The cruise control release switch
- The stoplamp and torque converter clutch (TCC) switch
- The cruise control switches
- The cruise control switch wiring harnesses

The cruise control system uses a cruise control module in order to obtain the desired vehicle cruise operation. The cruise control module is mounted on the left engine compartment inner side rail. The module contains the electronic controller and the electric stepper motor. The cruise control module contains a low speed limit that will prevent system engagement below a minimum speed of 40 km/h (25 mph). The module is not serviceable. The module uses the following 2 important components for cruise operation:
1. An electronic controller
- The controller monitors the vehicle speed.
- The controller operates the electric stepper motor.
2. An electric stepper motor
- The electric stepper motor moves a ribbon and the throttle linkage in order to maintain the desired cruise speed.
- Movement to the ribbon and the throttle linkage is in response the electronic controller.

The cruise control operations are located on the multifunction turn signal lever.

The following cruise control switches disengage the cruise control system:
- The release (brake) switch
- The stoplamp and TCC switch
- The clutch switch or the clutch anticipate switch

These switches are mounted on the following components:
- The brake pedal bracket
- The clutch pedal bracket

When the brake pedal or clutch pedal is depressed, the following actions occur:
- The cruise control system is electrically disengaged.
- The throttle returns to the idle position.

If the vehicle is equipped with traction control (acceleration slip regulation), the cruise control will disengage in a low traction situation.

Cruise Control System Operation

Cruise Control Switches

The following cruise control switches disengage the cruise control system:
- The release switch
- The stoplamp and TCC switch
- The clutch switch or the clutch anticipate switch

These switches are mounted on the following components:
- The brake
- The accelerator
- The clutch pedal bracket

When the brake pedal or clutch pedal is depressed, the cruise control system is electrically disengaged.

Electrical disengagement is accomplished by activating the brake cut-out input to the cruise control module. The set speed will be retained in memory when the brakes are activated.

For an automatic transmission only, the stoplamp and TCC switch contains the following items:
- A 3-wire stop lamp connector
- A 2-wire TCC switch connector

The cruise control release switch has a 2-wire cruise control disable connector.

The clutch switch has a 2-wire cruise control disable connector.

The clutch anticipate switch has a 4-wire cruise control disable connector.
Attached Thumbnails Cruise Control-pedal-switches.gif  
Old 11-08-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Dang! Thanks for all the info. This weekend I am going to replace the head liner and do some cleaning up around around the motor and such. I will try to adjust it then. I dont know why it would only work every now and then.
I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control