General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Horrible Vibration on LT1

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible Vibration

Ok just started today. At low rpm (900-1200rpms but not in first) the car feels like its gonna rattle itself to death! it is extremely noticeable on the lovely 1-4 shift. with my hand on the shifter i can feel the whole transmission shake and the rear end feels like its jumping up and down. I have never had this problem before so when it happened this afternoon it freaked me out. thought maybe the exhaust was hitting the driveshaft messing up the angle but when i checked under the car i had plenty of clearance. if anybody has any idea what could be wrong i would definitely appreciate it. oh the vibration will also go away immediately if the clutch pedal is pressed or if i downshift which in turn raises the revs. if any more information is needed please feel free to ask
Old 11-06-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

im not 2 familliar with these cars but it wuldnt surprize me if it were bad motormounts or a bad tranny mount
Old 11-06-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i was thinking tranny mount too but i didnt have a light to look at it. couldnt actually see the motor mounts but i revved it using the throttle cable and saw no movement. definitely check out the tranny mount tomorrow. any other suggestions?
Old 11-13-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

sometimes you cant see a bad motormount that way. get a friend to sit in the car and press the brake while reving just a little becouse you can see it much better when the engine is under a bit of a load
Old 11-14-2005, 06:08 AM
TECH Regular

What's your year and milage?
Sounds like a tranny mount. I just did mine this weekend. It cost $27.77 from Advance Auto and took me about 45 minutes. Check out this thread.

Tranny Mount