General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Interior Air Blower Stuck In One Position

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interior Air Blower Stuck In One Position

Hey Guys,

Has anyone ever had the air blower stuck in one position? It seems to be stuck in the "blow air on feet" setting. As far as I can tell, the a/c still works, it's just that it will only blow to your feet.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-14-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting....the air position selector switch is run by vacuum. I have taken it all apart, but I am not sure how it works. Hopefully someone else does. I would say pop out the ac panel and check it for vacuum leaks to start with.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lo_jack
Interesting....the air position selector switch is run by vacuum. I have taken it all apart, but I am not sure how it works. Hopefully someone else does. I would say pop out the ac panel and check it for vacuum leaks to start with.
And now for the newbie question: how do you pop out the a/c panel?
Old 11-15-2005, 06:43 AM
TECH Regular

Make sure that the shaft turns (under the plastic peice - should pull straight out). The plastic peice is keyed and could be rounded out. If that is fine. You'll have to check out the vacuum system.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jkichline
Make sure that the shaft turns (under the plastic peice - should pull straight out). The plastic peice is keyed and could be rounded out. If that is fine. You'll have to check out the vacuum system.

Yeah - the metal shaft still turns. Right now there are three options: off, a/c on (blows to your feet) and blower only (blows to your feet). The temp control **** still works fine and the blower speed adjustment **** still works fine, but you can't switch the location that the air blows to.

Would I start by checking under the hood or checking behind the dash for vaccuum leaks?
Old 11-16-2005, 04:35 AM
TECH Regular

If you are hearing hissing sound when you turn the switch, you probably have to pull the dash apart to look for vacuum leaks.... If you don't hear anything when switching, you might have a blown fuse or bad relay. I would need to look up where that stuff is.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you done anything under the hood.Removed intake/air lines for any reason.There's a vacumn port on the back of the intake.Thats where it gets the vacumn from.If you did do anything under the hood this line could be broke or unhooked.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
Have you done anything under the hood.Removed intake/air lines for any reason.There's a vacumn port on the back of the intake.Thats where it gets the vacumn from.If you did do anything under the hood this line could be broke or unhooked.

Hmm . . . I had the valvesprings replaced last Friday, and this happened Friday night at the track . . . Maybe I'll call the shop. I didn't see how the repair could be related to the problem, but that may be it!

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

There is a vacum switch under the hood that comes off easily sometimes. It has I think three or four vacumn hoses going to it. It is located passenger side by the firewall. I would check there first. Then follow one of the hoses down the side of the fender it passes by the battery. If you have a leaking battery sometimes it corrodes the vacumn line and causes a leak. This was the two problems I had when this happened to mine. l Good Luck.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:57 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Either a vacuum leak or one or more actuators are shot. The actuators are like air valves that are "normally closed" until a vacuum is applied is the best analogy I can think of right now. These control where the air is channeled in the car. I have never dug into mine, although I have a vent that screws up intermittently. (very little air at all in my case).
Old 11-23-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either vacuum or a mode door failure......the mode door controls where the air is blown in the evap case....i dont know where to look for the actuator as described in above post but find that and look to see if it is moving if it is then the door is broken in the case.....pull the case and hope you can get it all back together when you are done replacing the door. It sounds as if it is the vacuum supply.