General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

missing pcv valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missing pcv valve

I guess this is where this should go. I had my vlave cover off the other day and figured I would replace the pcv. From what i understand it's on the inside of the passenger valve cover correct? There is nothing there on mine. Just a tube connected to the valve cover. I don't even see how it would go on, there is no tube on the inside. The tube that goes outside the cover is flush with the inside and doesn't have another tube coming off of it. anybody have a pic of what it should look like in there. I notcied that driving my car for 15minutes and there was oil on the back of the throttle body blade. I just put the T/B on so it's easy to tell. help needed.

Pics.

Last edited by DreamState23x; 11-14-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The PCV valve is line mounted. On the back of the driver's side valve cover there is a 90 degree plastic fitting that connects to the hose that the PCV valve is mounted in. This hose runs behind the engine, over the passenger side valve cover, & into the TB. The PCV valve was mounted in this line. Sorry, no pics.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Post above is correct. And being that your car is a '98, the PCV valve will be resting right between the valvecover and the intake, in the above mentioned tube/line, about halfway back on the passenger side (the valve is farther forward on the '99-up cars). There is no need to remove the valvecover to get at the PCV. The valve is inside a rubber boot that looks like a buldge in the tube. If it's the stock valve, that boot will be covered in some insulation foam tape. Don't worry about removing the foam, you don't need it.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

last time i listen to a guy at autozone. I have been working on cars for years and have never seen one inside the valve cover. He swore up and down that was where it was at. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Just go to installuniversity.com and click on install docs. scroll down until you see pcv valve swap and there you go.

Too easy. Pics and all.

Have fun
Old 11-15-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I did it already, it just slides out and slides back in. Wonder why they hide a part that has to be changed out every once in a while like that(seal it in foam)
Old 11-15-2005, 06:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamState23x
Yeah, I did it already, it just slides out and slides back in. Wonder why they hide a part that has to be changed out every once in a while like that(seal it in foam)
Probably because there is another line teed to it back behind the engine & it seems a convenient way to route hose to make this connection. I think it's the goofiest set-up ever.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamState23x
Wonder why they hide a part that has to be changed out every once in a while like that(seal it in foam)
Good question. The later years didn't have that foam tape on them, only '98. Not sure why, but nobody I know has ever put the foam back on, it's fine without it.