General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How bad is this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is this?

I have been having some pretty bad front end vibrations going on in my car within the past month, and every time I had gone to get my tires balanced I have asked them ( 3 different places ) to let me know if there is something else wrong with my car. Took off my wheel today to see if there was anything else that could be causing it.

BTW.. I've got 146k miles on my car... I probably should replace...

What do you think?

At what point in time should I replace the ball joints?

Another question that I have is the back end has been vibrating a lot as well. last night I read on a couple of boards that people have replaced their U-Joints, how valid is that? The vibration is felt in the "seat of your pants" and seems to go away once you turn the steering wheel slightly to one side or the other. GRRR... looks like it is maintenance time !
Old 11-15-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it looks like you have some bushings that need to be replaced.

As for the ball joints, they only need to be replaced if they have play in them. What you will need to do to check this is lift the car up in the front by the lower control arm. Then with the wheel on, try to wiggle it up and down. If you feel a clunk, then you likely need to replace the ball joints. To check, you can have someone else wiggle it while you look at the spindle in relation to the control arm for movement.

As far as your vibration goes. If it goes away when you steer, I would tend to think that it is coming from the front of the car. Check all your tie rods.

While the car is on the ground, try to wiggle the wheel from side to side. If you feel a clunk like this, it is most likely a INNER tie rod.

Then lift the car in the air and wiggle the wheel from side to side. If you get a clunk here, it is most likely an OUTER tie rod.

Also you can check for wheel bearing play in a similar manner. Just make sure to look and see what is moving in relation to what. Hope this helps

Last edited by ACW; 01-02-2006 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Teching In

thanks for your reply.

I will perform that ball joint test (that sounds kind of personal doesn't it?)

Most likely I am ordering a sway bar today, it needs replaced because it is cracked where the bolt is.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Well if looks like you have some bussings that need to be replaced. As for the ball joints they only need to be replaced if they have play in them. What you will need to do to check this is lift the car up in the front by the lower control arm. Then with the wheel on try and wiggle it up and down. if you feel a clunk then you likely need ball joints. to check you can have someone else wiggle it while you look at the spindle in relation to the control arm for movement. As far as your vibration goes. If it goes away when you steer I would tend to think that it is coming from the front of the car. Check all you tie rods. While the car is on the ground try and whiggle the wheel from side to side, if you feel a clunck like this it is most likely a INNER tie rod. Then lift the car in the air and wiggle the wheel from side to side, if oyu get a clunk here it is most likely an OUTER tie rod. Also you can check for wheel bearing play in a similar matter Just make sure to look and see what is moving in relation to what. Hope this helps
ok...................