General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Creak-a-leak... who can guess what it is?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Creak-a-leak... who can guess what it is?

Well fellow tech'ers. I have an annoying creaking noise I wanna locate and eliminate. Here is the situation. I currently have BMR boxed SFC's in so the overall car is rigid. On the driver side quarter panel, where the sail panel meets the quarter panel, it sounds like a creak when I change the load distribution of the car by either leaving in first like normal. It is getting REALLY annoying and I want to find out what it is and then fix it, if possible. Any ideas are appreciated.

It is getting pretty cold up here in the Northeast so I will try to jack the car up and check the BMR LCA and other suspension items under there. The only other thing I can think of is when the car was up on the lift getting the SFC's welded in at my buddies shop, that the car was slightly "tweaked" and when it was then placed on the ground there was a slight mismatch of alignment.

Oh well, give me some ideas peeps

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by White.Lightning; 11-23-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cold weather can make your suspension rubber
groan in new ways. If you've got the spare time,
might want to pull and grease (like silver anti-
sieze paste or assembly lube that has the graphite
in it) the various link pieces - LCA, Panhard. May
also want to check the shock mounts, maybe dog
the uppers down (could have compression set and
make noise in the cold).

Putting the back wheels up on ramps, crawling
under and bouncing the car while listening is the
best way I've found to locate suspension noises.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the reply. I will have to purchase some of those ramps and put my car up like you recommended to listen for my "creak". If it isn't the suspension, then it must be a structural issue. Which will be located if it is not the suspension. Thanks again.

Andy
Old 11-23-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default same noise

I have the exact same problem w/ my car- boxed BMR subframes, welded on, but they did them on a drive on hoist, so the car was square. the first time I heard the noise, they retightened the left lca bolts, and that fixed it untill a couple dayse ago, I t has cooled off here in texas tho. But still, I get that creaking sound also, bushing squeak? is something flexin or broke, car is fine any other time, just creaks on slo takeoffs or slo over speedbumps
Old 11-23-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BULLET99Z28
just creaks on slo takeoffs or slo over speedbumps

True that man. It is sooooo annoying. But oh well. I have the rumble of my exhaust to fix that problem!!! hahaha

Andy
Old 11-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BULLET99Z28
I have the exact same problem w/ my car- boxed BMR subframes, welded on, but they did them on a drive on hoist, so the car was square. the first time I heard the noise, they retightened the left lca bolts, and that fixed it untill a couple dayse ago, I t has cooled off here in texas tho. But still, I get that creaking sound also, bushing squeak? is something flexin or broke, car is fine any other time, just creaks on slo takeoffs or slo over speedbumps
i don't have SFC's but my car also creaks on slow take offs....very annoying as it is rather loud. let me know if you figure out what it is