General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear of car sways / shifts side to side when shifting or getting on or off the gas.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Rear of car sways / shifts side to side when shifting or getting on or off the gas.

It started doing this after I changed some bearings in my rear end. Did I not set up the gears correctly, or is this something with the torque arm? I have minimal gear noise btw 60-65 mph, but nothing bad at all. When I did the work, I did remove the torque arm to hopefully give me a little extra room. (it didn't help much, though) I'm really sure everything was put back correctly. The torque arm was kind of tough to get lined up back on the bolt holes on the differential. Could it be in a bind; causing the swaying? Sometimes when the car shifts, everything feels solid, sometimes it feels really loose. Usually it is on a downshift when decelerating (not when accelerating), or when taking off the cruise control. Sometimes, I can feel it if I'm cruising and I just give it a little gas (but not enough to downshift).

If anyone knows what's going on, please let me know. Even if you just want to take a stab at it, throw some ideas out at me. Thanks,

-Marc
Old 11-30-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I had a somewhat similar problem to you when the bolt was loose on my panhard bar. Did you remove that as well? I've had my torque arm off a few times and never had a problem with it loosening up or binding though so I can't help on that end. Are all of your lugnuts tight? If they are loose, it could cause the wheel to wobble and give you a loose feeling in the rear that may come and go. There ya go. That's all the ideas I got. Good luck.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. The lug nuts are all tight. However, the bushings that came with the panhard bar ends were the wrong ones, so it isn't too secure. I spoke with the company and they sent out the right ones; as soon as they come in, they are going on. There is a terrible clunking with every bump I hit because of the wrong bushings not being in. I really hope the two problems are related, and will be fixed with the new bushings. I didn't think they could be causing the swaying side to side, but I hope that's all it is.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The panhard bar is what keeps the rearend from moving back and forth. The wrong bushings or worn out bushing could be the cause of your problem.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 AM

Default My rear is swaying horrible when I shift or let off or gas on it

Originally Posted by Marc '99T/A
It started doing this after I changed some bearings in my rear end. Did I not set up the gears correctly, or is this something with the torque arm? I have minimal gear noise btw 60-65 mph, but nothing bad at all. When I did the work, I did remove the torque arm to hopefully give me a little extra room. (it didn't help much, though) I'm really sure everything was put back correctly. The torque arm was kind of tough to get lined up back on the bolt holes on the differential. Could it be in a bind; causing the swaying? Sometimes when the car shifts, everything feels solid, sometimes it feels really loose. Usually it is on a downshift when decelerating (not when accelerating), or when taking off the cruise control. Sometimes, I can feel it if I'm cruising and I just give it a little gas (but not enough to downshift).

If anyone knows what's going on, please let me know. Even if you just want to take a stab at it, throw some ideas out at me. Thanks,

-Marc
what did yours end up being

Quick Reply: Rear of car sways / shifts side to side when shifting or getting on or off the gas.