General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Pump

Ive now ran my car(99 SS) out of gas three times (dont blame me, blame GM for making a fuel gauge that registers empty when you still have 70 miles left in the tank) Well-this time when I limped the car into a gas station, after putting fuel in it, the car still seemed to sputter for the short distance(half mile or so) home. Im afraid that Ive actually killed the pump...do you guys think that perhaps the car just needs to run a bit more or have I paid for stretching the limits?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Might try changing the fuel filter, after a while the tank can get some debris on the bottom and repeatedly sucking the tank dry can get it into the filter.
If that doesn't help, looks like it might be time for a FP change
Old 12-10-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Perfect excuse for me to throw the fram ive had laying in the floor for about a month on it tomarrow.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely the filter. On a side note, The first time you ran it out of gas I understand. But unless the guage is reading different every time you run out - You need to remember that spot and that after that there is no more.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know I have no damn excuse...especially since Im doing this to my dream car(well reasonable dream car, being that no ones got a Lambo laying around).
Old 12-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

You havn't paid the price yet until you replace the fuel pump. All e-fuel pumps don't like it when you make it run dry. it may be awile or when you least expect it(that's the way they play) b-4 you need the new fuel pump.
may luck be with you!
Old 12-15-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like the filter to me, maybe the pump is about to take a on you as well. I ran my 98 T/A out once. But it was shot after that. Woudn't pump anything.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by itchygomey98
On a side note, The first time you ran it out of gas I understand. But unless the guage is reading different every time you run out - You need to remember that spot and that after that there is no more.
This reminds me of a certain Seinfeld episode where him and Kramer were driving that Saab around to see how far it would go before it ran out of gas!

Although, its weird that your gauge is on E for 70 miles. I hit "E" once and my tank was dry immediately. Luckily for me I was 25' from the pump. I had to have the attendant help me push it the rest of the way.

Oh yeah... and I agree about the filter thing....