General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keyless entry

i dropped my keys and shattered my remote.i went to the gm dealer to pick up a new one when i got home with it i tried to reprogram it by my vehicles manuel but it didnt work then today i called the dealer to ask for help and they me to hold the unlock button in the vehicle and start it three times and then hold lock and unlock on the remote and it would reprogram it but i still cant get it to work.Any ideas or advice or help.im thinking about just taking it to them and have them do it.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

try this out, http://installuniversity.com/install...sity/index.htm hope this helps, then go to install documents and scroll down till you see additional key fob.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

how much did the dealer charge for the key fob and how much did they want to program it? i cant get my key fob programmed either but didnt want to pay for the overpriced dealership to program it.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Teching In

the key is for my surburban but shouldnt it be the same to program as a camaro though. the dealer said that i could just bring it in and he would do it right so i guess without charging me.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:18 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by widereceiver81
the key is for my surburban.....
Ok, you're in the wrong section then. You need to ask this question in the truck section then.

http://www.performancetrucks.net

Good luck,
Craig.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Follow the instructions in the link and it should work perfectly.Just programmed 4 fobs for my car a 2000 SS and it worked great! I got 4 used fobs from e-bay for about $15 bucks each. Good Luck D
Old 12-21-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by MeDennis
Follow the instructions in the link and it should work perfectly.Just programmed 4 fobs for my car a 2000 SS and it worked great! I got 4 used fobs from e-bay for about $15 bucks each. Good Luck D
He has a Surburban, not f-body.

But thanks for your input buddy!

Peace,
Craig.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

damn you guys. i got to clickin on the link and ended up spending 2 hours reading all that **** on installuniversity.com
Old 12-22-2005, 12:37 AM
12 Second Club

medennis: i have a 2000ss and the previous owner bought two key fobs from the internet and i tried programming them to the car. the car is in program mode, but pressing the lock and unlock buttons one the key fob does nothing. is there anything else i can do to get them to work?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by tbick
medennis: i have a 2000ss and the previous owner bought two key fobs from the internet and i tried programming them to the car. the car is in program mode, but pressing the lock and unlock buttons one the key fob does nothing. is there anything else i can do to get them to work?
Probably dead battery. Does the other key fob work?

Peace,
Craig.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

i thought the battery was dead so i bought a new battery for it, still nothing. neither one will work. could the bcm be bad? the previous owner said that the person that he bought them from said that they would work on the car. they look exactly like the key fob my friend has for his 99 camaro ss.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

are there batteries in the keyfobs???
Old 12-22-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes...it is a circle one. Part# CR2032 from panasonic.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Teching In

On my SS I just held the buttons down untill they programmed. The first 2 worked really fast,but the last 2 took about 30 seconds each. If that does not work maybe the previous owner got jobbed on ebay. I got mine from this place http://stores.ebay.com/KEYLESS-REMOTES-PLUS I would got the the auctions he has because he wants like $60 bucks for 2 but if you bid on his auctions they never go for more than $30 bucks for 2 fobs
Old 12-24-2005, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the info, i will try holding the buttons down longer. if that doesnt work i will probably buy some from that site since it is cheaper than going to the dealer.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Teching In

tbick if your friend does not mind try programming the fobs to his car,and if they work unfortunatly it may be your cars receiver.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

thats a good idea. ill try that before i buy another key fob. thanks for the help
Old 12-25-2005, 02:01 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by widereceiver81
the key is for my surburban but shouldnt it be the same to program as a camaro though. the dealer said that i could just bring it in and he would do it right so i guess without charging me.
Actually, it seems it is different... Here is the procedure for a Suburban:

2000 Chevrolet/Geo Chevy Suburban - 2WD

Transmitter Programming

1. Start with the ignition OFF, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel. Turn ignition key ON, OFF, ON, OFF. Release power unlock button on the door panel. The locks will cycle once.

2. Hold down the keyless entry transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for 15 seconds. The locks will again cycle once.

3. Repeat step #2 for each additional keyless entry transmitter.

4. Turn the ignition on to exit the keyless entry transmitter programming mode. Programming is now complete.

Compare to the 98-02 F-body procedure:

2000 Chevrolet Camaro

Programming Transmitters

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

2. Remove the RADIO fuse (#17).

3. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times within 5 seconds. The body control module (BCM) will verify entry into the programming mode by performing the following actions:
- Locking both of the doors
- Unlocking the drivers door
- Releasing the rear compartment lid

4. Press and hold both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first transmitter for approximately 15 seconds. The following actions will occur:
* The BCM will confirm that the transmitter code is programmed by performing the following actions:
- Locking both of the doors
- Unlocking the drivers door
- Releasing the rear compartment lid
* Any transmitter code that was previously programmed is erased.
* The BCM is programmed to the transmitter.

5. If you are programming the BCM to match additional transmitters, repeat step 4. You may program up to 4 transmitters. This must be done before the RADIO fuse is reinstalled.

6. Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.

7. Replace the RADIO fuse (#17). Important: The remote keyless entry system will not be operational if the program input line (RADIO fuse) is open.

8. If at any time it is necessary to restart the procedure, turn the ignition OFF and proceed again with step number 1.