General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Pressure just jumps around.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure just jumps around.....

for some reason my oil pressure is jumpin off the walls it idles at lil under 40 but when im drivin **** jumps between 60-80 is that common?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:59 AM
Staging Lane

Should stay constant when you hold it at a given RPM. Its not uncommon on my car or any others that I've owned to have the oil pressure go up as RPM's increase, then slide back down as the RPM's decrease (like during an Upshift).

Now if its being erratic, such as the oil pressure going up and down while the RPM's continuously increase, I'd be a little worried. Could mean bad oil pump, bearings, etc.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Or a faulty guage for the matter.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

it sounds like mine was doing what jswelburn was describing. If i give it more gas the oil gauge seems to rise, but when the RPM's decrease it lowers again. Is that normal for LS1's? Do i have anything to worry about. thanks
Kevin
Old 12-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Cool

Originally Posted by jswelburn
Should stay constant when you hold it at a given RPM. Its not uncommon on my car or any others that I've owned to have the oil pressure go up as RPM's increase, then slide back down as the RPM's decrease (like during an Upshift).

Now if its being erratic, such as the oil pressure going up and down while the RPM's continuously increase, I'd be a little worried. Could mean bad oil pump, bearings, etc.
I also have noticed slight oil pressure increase as the RPMs go up on my car. I think it's normal.

As jswelburn has said, if you notice it being very erratic, you may want to get it checked out.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Umm, oil pressure going up as rpm's increase is normal it is supposed to do that. Think about you are increasing the forces inside the motor as the rpm's climb so the oil pump has to push at a higher psi to get the oil into the correct spots of the motor. Then as you shift into a higher gear and the rpms come down the oil pressure should come back down. It shouldn't go up to 80 though. I have 30W-50 in mine temporarily and even cold it will not go up to 80 psi. I would have a scan tool put on the car and check the oil pressure that way or for cheap insurance replace the oil pressure sending unit bout 12 bucks from napa and go that way.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:54 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You check the pick-up tube and make sure that it is not on the pan. Or if it is clogged?
I had a similar problem and ran some Berryman B12 through the oil right before I changed it for about 2 minutes. problem solved.